Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help me figure out how many calories I should eat
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:25 am
I thought the whole idea of a low carb keto diet is that 70% of your calories comes from fat, 20% protein, and no more than 20 net grams of veggies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:49 am
andrea levy wrote:
If you go low calorie, you’ll have to reduce and reduce the number of calories over time. Read the obesity code by Jason Fung.

Andrea, what do you think about my food plan?
I know you’ve been successful eating a LCHF way

Breakfast
Coffee with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Lunch 11:00am
3 slices of cheese microwaved until crispy
1 haas avocado

Dinner 4:00pm
A huge salad with homemade garlic mayo dressing ( a lot I don’t really measure)
1 large chicken leg 1/4 (maybe 8oz )
Big plate of broccoli -1/2 the frozen bag with a drizzle of oil salt and pepper

6:00/6:30
Decaf with 1/2 cup almond milk

I must be doing something wrong because I’ve been doing this (I switch the dinner proteins and hot veg) for 3 weeks and I haven’t lost 1 oz

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 7:58 am
It comes out to
Calories - 1708
Fat- 132 g. 68%
Total carbs 45 g. 10%
Fiber 25.4 g.
Net carbs 19.6 g
Protein- 95 g. 22%

I’m guessing I need to get this down to 1600 calories

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:04 pm
I need help
I think I’m eating too much protein

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need to lose 50 lbs.
I went on 2 different calculators
According to the calculators
If I want to lose 2 lbs a week I would need to eat less than 800 calories
That’s not normal, healthy, nor possible for so long

Is 2 lbs a week too much to lose in a week
That’s 8 lbs a month
Any slower and I lose motivation

Help me figure out calories

Female
5’0
180lbs
130lbs goal weight

I eat pretty healthy and mostly low carb, but I think my portion sizes are just too big.

I want to put together a meal plan with exact portions

If u want a great diet that’ll keep u full and u won’t have any cravings or hunger, cut out all starches and stick to only proteins, healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, etc) and non starchy veggies. It worked miracles for me, the weight is falling off (I’ve lost over 50 lbs BH) and I’m not hungry and u won’t have to count calories! It’s the only diet where I didn’t feel deprived, hungry or craving sweets and junk food. Good,luck

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:13 pm
Most of my life I was binge dieting on and off. It always worked for me... until it didn’t anymore. I started using fitness pal, and at first it was really hard for me! I had to eat carbs!! Twice a day!!!! I really struggled with it I was so scared I would gain weight! But I actually started losing again, and I lost consistently with it. Balanced meals, 3x a day, snacks only fruit and no food after supper. It really does work and is very sustainable long term.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need help
I think I’m eating too much protein

Your protein needs depend on your lifestyle.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:33 pm
I'm doing bitesnap now. Trying to stick to 1250 calories/day. Only doing for 2 weeks but lost 4 lbs so far! I'm not really hungry if I eat the right stuff! If I eat a cookies which counts as a lot of calories but doesn't fill me up, I lose out! (But at least I can have my cookie!)
Cons:1-you need to have phone handy all the time. 2- you need to write down everything you eat 3- it's hard to keep track on shabbos!!(but not impossible!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Your protein needs depend on your lifestyle.

What does this mean

ddmom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does this mean

Typically ppl that exercise need much more protein than ppl that are not active

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Andrea, what do you think about my food plan?
I know you’ve been successful eating a LCHF way

Breakfast
Coffee with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Lunch 11:00am
3 slices of cheese microwaved until crispy
1 haas avocado

Dinner 4:00pm
A huge salad with homemade garlic mayo dressing ( a lot I don’t really measure)
1 large chicken leg 1/4 (maybe 8oz )
Big plate of broccoli -1/2 the frozen bag with a drizzle of oil salt and pepper

6:00/6:30
Decaf with 1/2 cup almond milk

I must be doing something wrong because I’ve been doing this (I switch the dinner proteins and hot veg) for 3 weeks and I haven’t lost 1 oz

I’m not a fan of almond milk. Other than that, I’d ask you if you are satiated by this food plan. I think that it’s not bad. I also think that low carb eating has benefits other than weight loss. Are you feeling them?

You’re welcome to pm me and I’ll send you the PDF. I think that it’s important to do something sustainable. I think to me this seems sustainable. I might try heavy cream instead of almond milk. I’d try intermittently fasting too. You’re actually almost there.

Also, I don’t count calories. I can’t advise you on that. Anyone can lose weight by lowering calories but keeping that weight off when your metabolism is slowing down the lower the calories go is brutal and sets you up for failure.

Watch the Fung videos. MAKE the time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 7:54 am
andrea levy wrote:
I’m not a fan of almond milk. Other than that, I’d ask you if you are satiated by this food plan. I think that it’s not bad. I also think that low carb eating has benefits other than weight loss. Are you feeling them?

You’re welcome to pm me and I’ll send you the PDF. I think that it’s important to do something sustainable. I think to me this seems sustainable. I might try heavy cream instead of almond milk. I’d try intermittently fasting too. You’re actually almost there.

Also, I don’t count calories. I can’t advise you on that. Anyone can lose weight by lowering calories but keeping that weight off when your metabolism is slowing down the lower the calories go is brutal and sets you up for failure.

Watch the Fung videos. MAKE the time.

Thanks for your help
I’ve watched some videos
I’ve also watched Dr. Berry and other LCHF Drs.
I keep finding that it is possible to go over board with your calories.
Perhaps that’s why I’m not having success
That and “carb creep”, from the veggies.
Also, some are saying that too much protein can turn to sugar. So maybe it’s too much protein, but this is the portion size that is satisfying, that I can go a long time without eating or cravings.
As far as IF I go from 6ish to about 8-8:30
At 8:30 I’ll have my coffee but I won’t eat anything until around 11
I don’t like the taste of heavy cream. The almond milk has 1g carb per 1 cup. That’s 1/2g in the am. Heavy cream also has carbs. Every TBSP is 1/2g carb.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your help
I’ve watched some videos
I’ve also watched Dr. Berry and other LCHF Drs.
I keep finding that it is possible to go over board with your calories.
Perhaps that’s why I’m not having success
That and “carb creep”, from the veggies.
Also, some are saying that too much protein can turn to sugar. So maybe it’s too much protein, but this is the portion size that is satisfying, that I can go a long time without eating or cravings.
As far as IF I go from 6ish to about 8-8:30
At 8:30 I’ll have my coffee but I won’t eat anything until around 11
I don’t like the taste of heavy cream. The almond milk has 1g carb per 1 cup. That’s 1/2g in the am. Heavy cream also has carbs. Every TBSP is 1/2g carb.

Gluconeogenesis is driven by need, not what you eat.

Whats happening on this? Are you stable? Are you feeling good? Carb creep can happen from veg. Remember that meat is not just protein, it’s fat too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:56 am
andrea levy wrote:
Gluconeogenesis is driven by need, not what you eat.

Whats happening on this? Are you stable? Are you feeling good? Carb creep can happen from veg. Remember that meat is not just protein, it’s fat too.

I’m just not losing weight
Started 1 month ago
And lost ZERO

I’ll give you an example of carb creep
You let me know if this is too many carbs
Last night I made meatloaf
To the meat I added
1 green pepper 1 red pepper 1 onion 1 plum tomato, 4 cloves of garlic.
I blended that in the food processor
I used 1 cup of that mix and added it to the ground beef. Then I added 1/4 cup ground flax.

On the top I smeared it with a home made mix of
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Spices
2 truvia packets

The meatloaf has 6-8 big servings.

I didn’t end up eating so I have for tonight
Meatloaf + cauliflower mash+ greens for salad is that too many veg.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m just not losing weight
Started 1 month ago
And lost ZERO

I’ll give you an example of carb creep
You let me know if this is too many carbs
Last night I made meatloaf
To the meat I added
1 green pepper 1 red pepper 1 onion 1 plum tomato, 4 cloves of garlic.
I blended that in the food processor
I used 1 cup of that mix and added it to the ground beef. Then I added 1/4 cup ground flax.

On the top I smeared it with a home made mix of
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Spices
2 truvia packets

The meatloaf has 6-8 big servings.

I didn’t end up eating so I have for tonight
Meatloaf + cauliflower mash+ greens for salad is that too many veg.

You might not like what im going to say, but I’m going to say it because I believe it. I don’t think that this counts as carb creep. Yes, it’s lower in carbs than breadcrumbs and ketchup and also if it’s still in loaf form then I’m pretty sure you didn’t go overboard. I also think that it’s really important that your weight held. Not everything is about calories when you have more to lose. And not everything is about weight.

For example, I spontaneously sometimes gain 7-12 pounds gor no reason. Technically I am in menopause so it should not be my cycle. It might be water retention in extra skin. I’m not sure what triggers it. I only know that the number in the scale does not show my body composition, only my gravitational mass. It happened this week when I got to my lowest weight ever and it’s coming off. It’ll probably take two weeks, then I’ll hit a new low. So it’s not a direct line fir me, and it literally has nothing to do with the amount of food I eat.

This morning was my 1 year checkup for the pre diabetes study I’m in. I’ve lost twenty pounds since they last weighed me a year ago. But I’ve also been lower since then. I believe it has to do with set points, but truthfully no one is really sure.

BUT, my weight loss being maintained for 3+ Is what’s important. Doing this and then maintaining it. Get stable and then tweak til it’s right for you. I’ve been very protective of my calories and do t count them. I don’t measure, I don’t do macros. I eat fat, protein and some low carb veg. I eat when I’m hungry unless I’m intentionally fasting.

What stands out to me is that you do use sweetener which can drive appetite. Jason Fung’s idea of fasting and feasting isn’t far off of what you are doing. Possibly if you are in a more compressed time frame, it might help.

Make a list of what’s improved since you started that isn’t weight. Here’s some of the things that improved for me:

Reflux drastically reduced, off meds which are needed only rarely
Energy levels ( if you’re not feeling this, add salt!)
Blood sugar normalized ( that was over time)
Headaches resolved. Used to have migraines daily)
Off almost ever medication I was taking except allergy oils when needed and sleeping pills die to life long insomnia
No more swollen feet ( 3 weeks after I started my new shoes were too big)
Other swelling in my body reduced ( my right arm used to be significantly bigger than my left from swelling)
My arthritic pain is gone. I still have pain from hip spurs but I have to walk 7-8 km to get there so to speak which I regularly do)
I haven’t been sick with more than a sniffle in over three years

I have to run because I’m going to give blood which I could not do before all this because of all the drugs....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:35 am
andrea levy wrote:
You might not like what im going to say, but I’m going to say it because I believe it. I don’t think that this counts as carb creep. Yes, it’s lower in carbs than breadcrumbs and ketchup and also if it’s still in loaf form then I’m pretty sure you didn’t go overboard. I also think that it’s really important that your weight held. Not everything is about calories when you have more to lose. And not everything is about weight.

For example, I spontaneously sometimes gain 7-12 pounds gor no reason. Technically I am in menopause so it should not be my cycle. It might be water retention in extra skin. I’m not sure what triggers it. I only know that the number in the scale does not show my body composition, only my gravitational mass. It happened this week when I got to my lowest weight ever and it’s coming off. It’ll probably take two weeks, then I’ll hit a new low. So it’s not a direct line fir me, and it literally has nothing to do with the amount of food I eat.

This morning was my 1 year checkup for the pre diabetes study I’m in. I’ve lost twenty pounds since they last weighed me a year ago. But I’ve also been lower since then. I believe it has to do with set points, but truthfully no one is really sure.

BUT, my weight loss being maintained for 3+ Is what’s important. Doing this and then maintaining it. Get stable and then tweak til it’s right for you. I’ve been very protective of my calories and do t count them. I don’t measure, I don’t do macros. I eat fat, protein and some low carb veg. I eat when I’m hungry unless I’m intentionally fasting.

What stands out to me is that you do use sweetener which can drive appetite. Jason Fung’s idea of fasting and feasting isn’t far off of what you are doing. Possibly if you are in a more compressed time frame, it might help.

Make a list of what’s improved since you started that isn’t weight. Here’s some of the things that improved for me:

Reflux drastically reduced, off meds which are needed only rarely
Energy levels ( if you’re not feeling this, add salt!)
Blood sugar normalized ( that was over time)
Headaches resolved. Used to have migraines daily)
Off almost ever medication I was taking except allergy oils when needed and sleeping pills die to life long insomnia
No more swollen feet ( 3 weeks after I started my new shoes were too big)
Other swelling in my body reduced ( my right arm used to be significantly bigger than my left from swelling)
My arthritic pain is gone. I still have pain from hip spurs but I have to walk 7-8 km to get there so to speak which I regularly do)
I haven’t been sick with more than a sniffle in over three years

I have to run because I’m going to give blood which I could not do before all this because of all the drugs....

Great
Thanks for the input
I’m concerned about not losing weight because I don’t expect this right in the beginning
If I was doing it for a while and I’ve plateaued that’s one thing, but I’m at the start.
This is why originally I was saying it must be too much calories.
I do know that menapause could be a culprit
This is so hard

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Great
Thanks for the input
I’m concerned about not losing weight because I don’t expect this right in the beginning
If I was doing it for a while and I’ve plateaued that’s one thing, but I’m at the start.
This is why originally I was saying it must be too much calories.
I do know that menapause could be a culprit
This is so hard

This is why I’m
Saying pay attention to what’s getting better. Maybe stop weighing yourself. If I can walk 12 km AND climb 500 stairs up and down in one hour of exercise plus feel great after, does it really matter if I am at goal? If I am not eating like a maniac and am happy with how I feel and even look, does it matter if I’m at goal? ENJOY THE JOURNEY! Tweak as you go. Insulin resistance doesn’t get better with calorie reduction, it gets better with the kind of eating you’re doing. Let your body heal. Stuck with it and maybe stop with the sweetener which can give an insulin response. Try your coffee black. Experiment.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 12:46 pm
OP maybe eat 1 big meal a day? Coffee or tea without anything added in the morning and bone broth at night. Get your calories and protein in at midday. I just finished reading Dr. Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting and that was one of his suggested plans.

What you're eating sounds good but if you're not losing you might need to change the timing. Also track your protein, you might need to cut down.

I'm dealing with this weight loss stuff now and it's so hard. Sad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:55 pm
Thanks for your response

First Lady

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:54 pm
andrea levy wrote:
This is why I’m
Saying pay attention to what’s getting better. Maybe stop weighing yourself. If I can walk 12 km AND climb 500 stairs up and down in one hour of exercise plus feel great after, does it really matter if I am at goal? If I am not eating like a maniac and am happy with how I feel and even look, does it matter if I’m at goal? ENJOY THE JOURNEY! Tweak as you go. Insulin resistance doesn’t get better with calorie reduction, it gets better with the kind of eating you’re doing. Let your body heal. Stuck with it and maybe stop with the sweetener which can give an insulin response. Try your coffee black. Experiment.

Brilliant post!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise