Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Is this regular practice

joss3

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:46 pm
I had professional pictures taken about 2 years ago, but I didn’t choose pictures to edit and print. The photographer never followed up after the shoot, and did not contact me besides for emailing watermarked pictures.

I recently reached out to her and was told she no longer has my pictures and can’t help me further. She gave me permission to have a graphic artist remove the watermarks, and print whatever I want. That is a costly and not so effective solution.

Is that normal practice in this era of digital photography? Would pictures be fully deleted, with no backups after 2 years?

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:47 pm
Doesn't sound right to me.

lk1234

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:48 pm
I don't know much about photography, but as a layman I would not expect a service provider to have something from 2 years ago. If they had it it would be nice, but I would not expect it. I think it would be on you to follow up on this closer to when you had the pictures done.

going-up

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 3:51 pm
I'm not sure what's the norm but 2 years is a long time. I had pictures taken a little less than a year ago and one of the prints I never picked up. The photographer contacted me that she will be throwing it out if I don't pick it up asap. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to pick it up so she threw it out. I understand, they can't hold onto everyone's pictures, not enough digital space or physical space. I'm sorry that you lost out on your pictures. 😔

joss3

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:05 pm
Sad

Digital storage is so easy and abundant, I didn’t have any idea that could happen.

Guess I need a graphic designer recommendation now.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:07 pm
Did you have a contract? They usually keep pictures for 1 year or so. Maybe 2,

Success10

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:09 pm
joss3 wrote:
Sad

Digital storage is so easy and abundant, I didn’t have any idea that could happen.

Are the watermarked files full resolution?

joss3

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:44 pm
Success10 wrote:
Are the watermarked files full resolution?

I think they are.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:57 pm
Every photographer has their own regular practice.

I used to keep things for years.

Now I have a contact- prints and albums not picked up within 30 days of notification will receive a shipping invoice, which can be paid within 60 days. Afterwards, which is 90 days after being notified to pick up your products, your items will be recycled. I have a gorgeous album here from 5 years ago, that’s why I put this policy in place!

Digital images I keep for one year. And clients must choose their images immediately after the session, or come back 1-2 weeks later to choose their favorites. Otherwise, I can’t close out old orders, which messes up my workflow. If a client, for some reason does not choose her images within 2 months, there’s a $100 monthly archive fee added to her order, since I have to keep multiple copies of all of her raw images.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:12 pm
Guilty of this! Did one photo shoot in my life & before the prints were ready to be reviewed we ended up in the hospital for a while. We got hold of the cd at some point but I so wasn’t impressed with the coloring and everything & to sort through which is worth editing, printing etc... so I still have the cd somewhere & hopefully by the time I’ll manage to sort through the photographer will still be able to service us Can't Believe It

Java

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:25 pm
I think that's pretty common... Our wedding photographer gave us a year deadline to choose our prints, album etc. but she for sure should have communicated better

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 8:24 pm
It is regular practice to have a time limit, but it is NOT ok that she didn't give you any warning of that or prompt you to follow up.

behappy2

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 9:11 pm
Once had a photographer say he had been contracted with someone and he left do he doesn't have those pictures anymore.,

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:59 pm
There should have been a contract. all the terms should be there.

Happydance

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:05 am
joss3 wrote:
Sad

im a newbie photographer who does nice work
I would be happy to work with you at a good price Smile

Supermom#1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:11 am
Happydance wrote:
im a newbie photographer who does nice work
I would be happy to work with you at a good price Smile

Where are you located?

Happydance

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:27 am
Supermom#1 wrote:
Where are you located?

out of town

but I can do photoshop work from anywhere Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art