Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New pump pot/urn for shabbos

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:49 am
I am looking for a new hot water pot for shabbos. I've had several standard pump pots but I find that after a few months they don't keep the water so hot, and the pump gets hard to use. I'd be happy to use a traditional urn like I grew up with, but I'm not sure if there are shabbos issues with those anad that's why nobody uses them anymore. I'm looking for lower end in terms of cost, and would like something that takes up less counter space if possible. Any recommendations?

mfb

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:55 am
I wouldn’t use the old ones because they are hot on the outside and also easier for little kids to use and then burn themselves

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:12 am
Following.

I also prefer the non pump urns.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:18 am
Have you tried a West Bend? We gave up on the rest and use this (1 for year round and 1 for pesach).
https://www.amazon.com/West-Be.....r=8-3
The cord is fully removable in the version that is available at the Jewish stores (we have 1 of each).

Odelyah

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:42 am
I got tired of spending a fortune on pump type urns that kept breaking and didn't even hold that much, so last time we got this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eli.....63429

not sure if it takes up less space but not sure what you need as far as capacity, because there are different sizes. this one says it's 30 cups. this type of urn holds more water in the same space because it's not insulated like the pump pots so there's more room inside.

I chose this specific brand/model because I wanted stainless steel, not aluminum, and this one was reasonably priced (I paid 35.99) and had decent reviews. the other urn we have for pesach doesn't keep the water hot but this one does. it boils itself pretty frequently in order to do so, and some reviewers didn't like that, but it doesn't bother us. one issue is that the spout is kind of low so I put something under the pot to elevate it a bit because otherwise it's difficult to fit a coffee mug under the spout. also you need to be careful to set it up safely out of reach if there are small children around, moreso I think than the pump pots (that are insulated and are pushed on top to dispense)

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:00 pm
Are any of the pump pots good? Or is any thermos good for 20 hours? I have a regular urn but I'm scared to have it on with children around.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Are any of the pump pots good? Or is any thermos good for 20 hours? I have a regular urn but I'm scared to have it on with children around.

I use a pump pot and keep it behind my corner sink so it’s really far from kids hands

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 10:57 am
Can anyone recommend a childproof option that works well?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics