Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Can I freeze cholent?

mushkale

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:33 am
Title says it all?

jflower

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:38 am
Yes! I make a big batch and then freeze in containers for other weeks. It's the same as freezing soup but let me remind you that potatoes do not freeze well. My chulent consists of barley, beans and meat. Tastes delicious and can't tell that it's been frozen.

pause

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:40 am
I freeze half-cooked cholent that does not have potatoes. Rewarm and continue cooking before using.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:40 am
jflower wrote:
Yes! I make a big batch and then freeze in containers for other weeks. It's the same as freezing soup but let me remind you that potatoes do not freeze well. My chulent consists of barley, beans and meat. Tastes delicious and can't tell that it's been frozen.

You freeze it cooked or raw? I tried to freeze cooked chalont once and it was horrible and dry when rewarmed.

shmosmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:41 am
You can, but I wouldn't eat it.
Although in a better world we'd be better about being closer to zero- waste, there are some leftovers I just wouldn't freeze, with chulent being on top of the list.

mushkale

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:42 am
Its not leftovers... I need to plan in advance this week. But I see the potato route won't work so we'll need to reevaluate. Thanks!

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 9:44 am
mushkale wrote:
Its not leftovers... I need to plan in advance this week. But I see the potato route won't work so we'll need to reevaluate. Thanks!

Maybe you can freeze the chalont and add the potatoes when you take it out to defrost.

mushkale

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:25 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Maybe you can freeze the chalont and add the potatoes when you take it out to defrost.

Freeze raw or cooked? Its basically just potatoes and beans. Isn't much else to do it...

I think I'll prepare and just refrigerate till its time to just turn on the crockpot.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:35 am
mushkale wrote:
Freeze raw or cooked? Its basically just potatoes and beans. Isn't much else to do it...

I think I'll prepare and just refrigerate till its time to just turn on the crockpot.

I sometimes put together the chalont on Thursday and put it in the refrigerator till I put it up on Friday. On Friday I just add the water.

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:35 am
I sometimes freeze leftover cholent (I don't use potatoes... it's meat, beans, barley) and use it as a base for minestrone (kinda) soup... I add tomato paste or stewed tomatoes, pasta (elbows), and sometimes some zucchini. It's delicious.

mushkale

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:41 am
funkyfrummom wrote:
I sometimes freeze leftover cholent (I don't use potatoes... it's meat, beans, barley) and use it as a base for minestrone (kinda) soup... I add tomato paste or stewed tomatoes, pasta (elbows), and sometimes some zucchini. It's delicious.

This sounds interesting. Can you elaborate? And can I use chicken legs instead of meat?

Cherry Blossom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:17 pm
Yup.

Last edited by Cherry Blossom on Wed, Sep 21 2022, 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:19 pm
I was always grossed out by the thought of it. However, I once tried it and I had to admit that it was delicious and totally unexpected. I was convinced it would ruin the flavor and all.

ddmom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:26 pm
Someone gave a full pan of chulent. I froze it for my sons aufruf. Everyone thought it tasted delicious, there was nothing left! I even got compliments!
I took it out of freezer, put it in huge crockpot friday morning and made sure it was very well reheated! It did not taste any different!
Surprising but true!!! (including potatoes!!)

cuffs

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 12:27 pm
I fully prep the cholent, put it in the fridge, then Friday morning just plug it in.

yksraya

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:12 pm
I just had that one week I had too much extra chulent. I knew we were gonna be away and get back on Friday 2 weeks later. so I just froze it for the week we were away. It was really good. I did add a cup of water mixed with oil when rewarming. It had no potatoes.

maze

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:22 pm
Cholent is one of those foods best served fresh. I wouldn't freeze it, it becomes unappetizing.

jflower

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 1:58 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
You freeze it cooked or raw? I tried to freeze cooked chalont once and it was horrible and dry when rewarmed.

I freeze it cooked. When I'm rewarming the frozen chulent, I add some water to the pot first. Very appetizing and nobody can tell that it's been frozen.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:01 pm
I’ve frozen it (cooked, and with potatoes) and I like it just fine. My husband doesn’t.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 2:32 pm
I make two cholents side by side in my crockpot, each in their own bags. One with everything but potatoes as I assume they won't defrost well. I freeze one bag, transfer to a new one, put in the crockpot and add potatoes and I really don't think there's a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus