Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO White Cholent Recipe

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 2:31 pm
I can't get a white cholent recipe to turn out the way I want. The kind I am referring to is like what they have at Meisner's Take Out in BP (they have both a dark cholent and a white one). Theirs has just the right taste and consistency I am looking for. (I'm not asking for their specific recipe, just trying to give an example of what type I mean.)

I'd like something with fleish, not chicken. Also, I prefer not too heavy on potatoes.

Also, we tend to have leftover cholent always, so I am looking for something that can work for a batch that is not too big.

Does anyone have a good recipe to share?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 3:13 pm
Use white navy beans instead of cholent mix beans, barley, potato, onion, garlic, salt, splash of oil.

batya315

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 3:14 pm
Not sure what you're looking for (not familiar with the one you mention), but I use only white beans in my cholent, and I think it's pretty good.
I saute a medium onion in some oil until it's golden (and sometimes add a finely chopped garlic too). I add in a piece of meat (cheek, flanken, club, minute or swiss) and saute it for just a bit. I cut one potato into cubes and saute it along with the rest. I then add a half package of soaked navy beans and a handful of barley. Cover it with water + 2 inches or so. Add salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder (and when I'm in an adventurous mood, some soy sauce, honey and/or ketchup).
I let it cook low and slow.

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 3:37 pm
Wow. Other for the adventurous flings of yours, my cholent recipe is exactly the same.

Well, I add a little garlic to mine

funkyfrummom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 5:26 am
I did the switch to navy beans and that was it. I just had too many red/pink ones.

I also usually have kishke in there, and noticed (once I switched to all white beans) that it is also contributing to the color. I may wrap it so that it stays more separated, not loose.

Thank you for help. Smile

batya315

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 3:57 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Wow. Other for the adventurous flings of yours, my cholent recipe is exactly the same.

Well, I add a little garlic to mine

You have good taste Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus