Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My 4 yo is SUPER wild - PLEASE HELP
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:04 pm
Is he doing all this everyday or is this a list of things he is capable of doing?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:37 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
How is he at school?

He's actually pretty good at school. He listens, plays nicely with the children, and seems excited to go. He tells me what he learns.

I have not had any complaints re: his behavior at school...but it's very early in the school year and it's Kindergarten.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:39 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Is he doing all this everyday or is this a list of things he is capable of doing?

He MOSTLY does all this every day.

Tonight he didn't, but I worked very hard to keep him occupied - danced wit him, told him to get his bouncy ball...

However, I did sit to eat supper and while I was eating he snuck off to my bathroom and put mascara all over his face Smile Is that a typical 4-yo thing, or is that weird/different?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
this. Cut out gluten, dairy, food dyes and sugar. Chances are you will see major improvements.

Wow. This sounds great but would be impossible to implement. He has a swallowing condition from birth and is a very picky eater. He lives on bread, pretzels, and carbs. He doesn't eat any vegetables, chicken or meat, and the only fish he eats his fish sticks.

I can cut out refined sugar and dairy but if I do gluten, he'll starve ch"v.

amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Also check for strep, acute and chronic, yeast overgrowth, and parasites.

Give methylated b vitamins and magnesium.

How do I check for these things? Doctor? Lab?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:12 am
I'm not saying it's anyone's fault or that it's an easy fix, but if he basically eats nothing but carbs then poor behavior is not very surprising.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He MOSTLY does all this every day.

Tonight he didn't, but I worked very hard to keep him occupied - danced wit him, told him to get his bouncy ball...

However, I did sit to eat supper and while I was eating he snuck off to my bathroom and put mascara all over his face Smile Is that a typical 4-yo thing, or is that weird/different?

For me this shows he doesn’t need meds.
He can control himself when he wants to

What consequences does he get when he doesn’t behave? These need to be consistent
What rewards when he does? These need to be consistent
Are there clear cut rules like there is in school.
Maybe he needs a schedule

Maybe watch some super nanny, she has very good tips for discipline

Oops I quoted the wrong quote
I meant to quote about school

Oh and btw- the mascara thing totally normal
He wants to be a clown or do face painting
It’s fun, what kid wouldn’t
He saw you put it on and knew what it’s for
Please don’t read into things more than what it actually is

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:37 am
DD was an absolute NIGHTMARE if she ever had dairy. She's be absolutely uncontrollably wild, even when she WANTED to calm down. Then she's end up in an exhausted pile of tears. It was heartbreaking to watch. Every time her dad gave her dairy I wanted to strangle him. He didn't "believe" in food intolerances. If it didn't kill her, he thought I was making it up for attention. Sad

Please, PLEASE check for food sensitivities, not just allergies.

B'H she outgrew it by the time she was around 9.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 7:48 am
Lets try distraction and not talking about food so much. Lets get him to eat fresh fried or baked schnitzel or chicken bottoms, turkey breast, meat balls, scrambled eggs, egg salad.. reading a book, watching a video, coloring while he eats... he should start outgrowing some pickiness. I do understand some kids are pickier than others. You would be surprised. I think some positive reinforcement like even watermelon for dessert may work after eating 4 bites because he is 4 years old. Also, make sure you wash him negel vasser daily. It may make a difference.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:16 am
Just want to add- is he getting too much screen time? That can be damaging as well.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I check for these things? Doctor? Lab?
what swallowing disorder? Does that still affect him? Carbs are addictive and sometimes kids restrict themselves to foods that give them that neurochemical “fix”. Lots of parents find that when they remove them, within a few days the child’s palate suddenly expands and they’re trying new foods. Also, not that this is ideal, but there are lots of gluten free carb options for cereals, pastas, breads etc. dr praegers makes rice crusted fish sticks

Strep testing is a swab (throat and rectum), and for chronic you can ask for ASO and anti-dnase b titers in bloodwork. Yeast and parasites are harder to test for, but sometimes based off of symptoms you can just assume it’s there and treat gently with herbs and supplements.

An ibuprophen trial is a good way to see if the behavior is a result of brain inflammation

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 6:59 pm
My 4 yo DD is the same.
She definitely is sensory seeking so I tried to let her have healthy outlets when possible.
It's worse when she is hungry so I tried to make sure to feed her early.
Her uncle was the same way and he outgrew it eventually so I'm just doing my best and waiting for her to grow up so that my house will be back under control.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children