Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys overnight camp

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 8:42 pm
We are oot yeshivish, frum. My 14 year old son is a good kid with serious shpilkes. He wants to go to camp but I am clueless. We are not in NY and don't really want a NY camp. Any suggestions?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:00 pm
My son almost that age has loved Kol Torah the past couple of years.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:01 pm
Where is that? What type?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:04 pm
Kol Torah in Cleveland, Agudah Midwest, Tashbar in Liberty is geographically in NY but not so much culturally

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:08 pm
Can you describe the 3 camps you mentioned? Types of boys, hashkafa of camp/staff, etc. Activities.......? I don't even know what to ask, we are new at this.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 10:16 pm
Camp Bonim, in PA
campbonim.net

attracts lots of OOTers, low key, not fancy types of boys, down to earth and lots of fun
my boys have loved it over the years. and we are down to earth baltimoreans

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 04 2020, 11:13 pm
Kol Torah is located on the Telshe campus in Cleveland. It's a large camp, lots of ppl from Lakewood but also out of town kids. They mainly learn and play sports. A kid who doesn't like leaning so much might not like it as much as another camp... They're not into major trips, I think one big one and maybe bowling and one other. Lots of sports. Pretty yeshivish camp.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 12:54 am
Can someone describe tashbar- is it well run? What type of crowd etc...

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 7:03 am
My son went to Aliyah this past summer and loved it.

thanks

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 7:20 am
Camp shoresh if your son likes sports. Specifically basketball.
Also magen av/heller might be a good fit.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 8:47 am
Tashbar is a very well-run, low key camp. It gets a nice crowd of yeshivish people from Brooklyn but it does not have the same “in town” feel of some of the other NY camps. They have solid learning and they provide an all around wholesome camp experience.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Tashbar is a very well-run, low key camp. It gets a nice crowd of yeshivish people from Brooklyn but it does not have the same “in town” feel of some of the other NY camps. They have solid learning and they provide an all around wholesome camp experience.

Thanks so much for the information! Do they have a lot of sports as well? When you say yeshivish, how yeshivish?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 9:30 am
Someone mentioned Marom to me, any info on that?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Thanks so much for the information! Do they have a lot of sports as well? When you say yeshivish, how yeshivish?

The boys from Brooklyn come mainly from Mir, the Cheder, Tiferes Elimelech, with a sprinkling of Chaim Berlin and Veretzky. Not super yeshivish on the global spectrum. There’s plenty of sports too.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 05 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
The boys from Brooklyn come mainly from Mir, the Cheder, Tiferes Elimelech, with a sprinkling of Chaim Berlin and Veretzky. Not super yeshivish on the global spectrum. There’s plenty of sports too.

This is super helpful!!
Anyone know which camp is similar in type to Agudah?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:11 am
Another vote for Camp Bonim. Lots of OOT kids and staff (especially first half), great sports, learning program is very good with excellent Rebbeim, but not too intense. Just overall tons of fun in a great environment! Let me know if you have any specific questions - my son has been working there for the past few years.

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 9:02 am
also look into Camp Chaveirim-- (chaveirimovernight.com). It is a camp made for oot yeshivish kids-- they don't even bother recruiting in New York. It's in southwestern PA, about 2 hours northwest of baltimore.
Kids from Baltimore, silver spring, houston, atlanta, phoenix, cleveland, and a few other places. Staff is mostly from Baltimore and Silver Spring. My son went there one summer and had a great time (he hasn't gone back, but just because of logistical reasons, not because it wasn't a good camp). I found it to be very well run and the staff to be very, very attentive.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 4:10 pm
Ditto to everything ruchelbuckle said.
Sent for a year, would send back if but for other circumstances, referred others who looked it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics