Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Harry Potter mistakes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 3:10 am
Why didn't lupin give harry a big hello as one of his father's best friend, instead of being vague even when harry asked straight out. Never understood that.

mommy2x

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 7:51 am
So true!
And the portkey part in #4 also bothers me. If people know you made a portkey then why did he wait until the end?

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:00 am
mommy2x wrote:
So true!
And the portkey part in #4 also bothers me. If people know you made a portkey then why did he wait until the end?

Which portkey do you mean?

A lot of times they are timed...

esther11

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 8:04 am
mommy2x wrote:
I can't believe that noone here mentions what to me is the most confusing part of the series! The concept of memories! In a memory, the person who is remembering is viewing it from their point of view. What you remember is how you viewed a situation. You place judgment on that memory- you are not impartial to it. We see throughout the memories shown of voldemort that Dumbledore remembers things exactly as they were, trials as they were etc but was viewing them exactly as they happened, not how a person thinks it happened. There is no point of view- It is just viewing a scene. People don't remember things like that. They remember things angled in a way that they saw it happen and don't pay attention to things that aren't meaningful to them. Make sense a bit?
So how does Slughorn remember himself sitting like a king eating pineapple, unless, that is how he views himself?
And the ministry wizard happens to remember the entire scene by the gaunts, including the sentences in parseltongue? He should've remembered hissing or gibberish but not the exact notes and pitches of the hissing, allowing Harry to understand him many years later! The ministry official made no sense of it, therefore, how can he remember it?
There as re more examples of this issue, I just can't remember them on the top of my head.
Also, how can Harry follow his father and his friends outside after their owl exam "as long as he still saw Snape" but hear the full conversation that they were having, even though Snape never saw or heard any of that. He was too far away! So how can Snape remember it and allow Harry to access it?
Also, on the topic of memories, it really surprised me that Harry saw his grandparents on platform 9 and 3/4s with lily and tuny and doesn't think anything to himself like "omg those are my grandparents" or "omg that's my aunt petunia, no wonder she is so bitter". In the chamber of secrets, Harry was so excited to see them and when Harry saw his father and his friends he was so excited to see all of them. Here, he saw so many new people and he doesn't seem to bat an eyelash.
Just a random thought

So interesting, that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. First of all, our brains are more capable than we expect. Second, it’s magic! I feel like it’s still in the realm of reasonable.

mommy2x

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:06 am
singleagain wrote:
Which portkey do you mean?

A lot of times they are timed...

In book 4. Crouch made the cup a portkey at the end, but he could've made is desk in DODA a portkey or his book, or called him in for a private meeting and offered him a cup of tea. He can just go along with Harry in September and not waste a whole year teaching.

mommy2x

Post Fri, Nov 06 2020, 9:08 am
esther11 wrote:
So interesting, that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. First of all, our brains are more capable than we expect. Second, it’s magic! I feel like it’s still in the realm of reasonable.

Our brains may be capable, but every situation is interpreted by us and stored like that. This guy could not have made sense of hissing and shouldn't have remembered that. And Snape never knew what James was saying so there is no way Harry should've heard him talking.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:53 pm
Bumping this thread up after just rereading Harry Potter and in the mood to dissect it!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:01 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Bumping this thread up after just rereading Harry Potter and in the mood to dissect it!

I just read it first time!
Enjoyed it but not sure what makes it soo popular?

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:17 am
I'm obsessed with Harry Potter. Now I need to reread this thread and see what it was about.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 6:18 am
amother Mustard wrote:

I just reread recently also (obviously I’ve read every book 300 times and originally read them as they came out)
I recently got very into the idea of the parallel books of HP. If you read them with this in mind, it’s mind blowing!
Books 1 and 7
Books 2 and 6
Books 3 and 5
And book 4 is a standalone which acts as a transition between the beginning and end
What’s even MORE interesting is that if you read each book itself, the actual CHAPTERS in the books are parallel. The first and last and so on.
Just to give a couple examples, although the examples are really endless throughout the books

1/7-
Harry finds out he’s a wizard/ Harry comes of age as a fully grown wizard
gets invisibility cloak/ full importance as hallow in 7
Starts learning about how his parents really died/ actually gets to flesh out the whole thing in hallows
Obviously the snitch that Harry first caught
Gringotts
Setting free a dragon
Hagrid takes Harry to and from privet drive in his motorbike
Ollivander and the wand chooses the wizard
Harry meets Voldemort in the forest
Harry survives the killing curse again
Harry dies for everyone he loves/ lily dies for harry
Finally find out what dumbledore saw in the mirror of erised
Sorcerors stone and resurrection stone
Harry finally feels like he belongs in gryffindor for sure when he realizes he was born in godrics hollow
Dumbledore introduced in book 1 as the greatest wizard ever lived and almost like a god. In book 7 we uncover the pieces of his life and he’s very very human
Harry meets snapes eyes first time (at the feast) and last time in book 7

Wow!! That was just the first! I’ll continue in the next post about 2&6!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 6:34 am
Ok here goes!
Books 2&6:

This is pretty obvious as both books center very strongly around tom riddle and his time at hogwarts
Harry goes to borgin and burkes and hides in the vanishing cabinet in book 2/plays major part in book 6
We are introduced to the first horcrux in book 2 without understanding what it is or how it works/fleshed out in book six
Harry and Ginny
Heir of slytherin- Tom riddle and marvolo gaunt
Diary- book that shouldn’t be trusted
Potions book- book that shouldn’t be trusted
Meet fawkes in book 2/flies into dumbledores grave (dies?) in 6
Harry is obsessed with Malfoy being up to something- heir of slytherin(2) /death eater(6)
Two professors obsessed with Harry- Lockhart and slughorn
I’m sure there’s more, but the central theme of Tom riddles memories is most of it

Books 3&5:
Both very focused on Harry’s relationship with Sirius black
Meets Sirius/ Sirius dies
Dementor attacks throughout book 3/ on Dudley and Harry in beginning of book 5
Look at the difference between how fudge treats Harry in 3- closest relationship ever, vs book 5, worst relationship ever- especially in regard to using magic on privet drive- aunt marge vs the dementors
Best defense against the dark arts teacher ever who taught all practical- lupin/ vs worst DADA teacher ever who taught all theoretical- umbridge
Sirius broke out from azkaban/ 10 death eaters broke out from Azkaban
Trelawneys two real prophecies
Sirius offers Harry to come live with him/ Harry finally goes to grimauld place
See the time turners in the department of mysteries
The marauders!! First introduced in book 3 with the map and the story of saving snapes life and lupin, Sirius, wormtail etc
Finally fleshed out in snapes memories in book 5
Harry holds his father up as a godlike hero in book 3/ in book 5 he needs to reconcile that he is human but still good

To be continued in the next post

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 6:41 am
Continuing from above:
Book 4 really stands by itself. It doesn’t parallel any other book but it does act as a huge turning point in the books
It’s obviously Voldemorts return and the beginning of the second war
We are very much introduced to the concept of the wider wizarding world outside of hogwarts which is vital for the rest of the books
It incorporates many of the concepts of the other books as well:
Tom riddle/voldemorts history
Harry’s dreams/visions
Dragons
Quidditch
Cedric’s death is the first real death of the series and the books become darker and less of a light kids series
Harry is starting to grow and become a teenager as well and not such a kid anymore
The entire book does not follow the format of any of the other books because it’s not a regular year at hogwarts
A lot of his interpersonal relationships are really fleshed out: Ron’s jealousy of Harry’s fame and his reliance on hermione

Please feel free to add!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 8:17 am
How is it possible that Dumbledore, most powerful wizard of all times, never realized that Moody wasn't Moody? He was good friends with him before, seems impossible that he missed it.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 8:27 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
I just read it first time!
Enjoyed it but not sure what makes it soo popular?

Did you read the whole series yet? The first three books are more childlike. The writing style mirrors Harry’s maturity level. They get more complex and deep as the series goes on.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 8:44 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
How is it possible that Dumbledore, most powerful wizard of all times, never realized that Moody wasn't Moody? He was good friends with him before, seems impossible that he missed it.

I actually always wondered the same, but barty crouch was very smart, knew a lot of dumbledore and moodys history, and was also very socially savvy. Also, don’t forget, he was barty crouch sr’s son so he knew all the things going on on both sides of the aisle
What’s really interesting is that in subsequent books, moodys personality is basically the same as in book 4, although he might be a little less friendly
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics