Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Armchair diagmosticians, give input! :)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 8:50 pm
What is the problem, and how would u remediate?
Teacher says my child works very slowly, reads super slow, needs teacher to constantly come and redirect during individual work, and is scoring really poorly.

It's funny bc my child is confident in his abilities and doesn't ask me or dh for help.

I will get him evaluated.

What could it be?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 8:56 pm
How has he done in the past? Can he read and do his homework well and quickly at home?

I had a child that normally does really well in school, and she did poorly one year. The teacher complained said she couldn't keep up, she didn't do well on tests, didn't finish class work etc.. The next year she was a top student again. Turns out it was a lousy teacher who didn't treat her well. She was stressed and feeling down in her classes so she performed poorly.

If you feel he's not like that in other settings it might be the teacher.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 9:00 pm
Start with basics and get a good eye and hearing exam
Maybe OT eval

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 11:45 pm
Could be a reading issue. Could be a fine motor writing issue. Could be executive functioning (related to ADHD but not). Could be anxiety related. Could just be an annoying kid sits near her and distracts her.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 12:08 am
What grade is your child in?

Can she read aloud from a book at home? Does she stumble even over familiar words? Struggle with sight words that are not phonetically obvious? How is her penmanship? Does she press too hard on the paper and sometimes tear it with the pencil tip or pen?

BTDT with my DD. Get a full evaluation for reading struggles, fine motor coordination, hearing, eyes, and ADD. Sometimes the answer is as easy as moving her desk, or she might need some OT or a bit of tutoring in reading and writing.

Please make sure that she doesn't feel "stupid". I know you would never do that, but if you hear her say anything like that about herself, just reassure her that everybody's brain learns differently. You just need to figure out the best way to teach her kind of brain. Some people are math geniuses, some are great at science, some people can paint beautiful pictures, and some are really good writers, but not everyone is always good at everything.

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 5:27 am
I would start with an evaluation from someone who is good.
Once you know what's going on you can work from there. There are lots of ways to help but better to know what help is needed first.
Im glad to hear your child is confident that is the most important thing!
If it is a reading issue make sure to find out what the issue is and the best way to help it so you dont waste money on a tutor who is not using methods that really help.
Hatzlacha!!

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 7:43 am
Comprehensive evaluation please. Slow speed is too vague to guess at.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics