Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Question re:tipping shoppers/ online grocery orders

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:37 am
If you order from Amazon Fresh, Instacart, Walmart.... any of these grocery delivery sites (not your local kosher market - regular grocery stores/ services with apps or websites you order from)... how much do you tip? Do you have a flat dollar amount that you consistently go with - maybe adjusting slightly for the order being very small or very large? Do you tip a percentage of the grocery bill, and if so, what percentage?

I am asking because of a post I saw on FB on this topic that has left me really scratching my head. I'll share what was said later. I'd first like to see the responses.

Thanks!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you order from Amazon Fresh, Instacart, Walmart.... any of these grocery delivery sites (not your local kosher market - regular grocery stores/ services with apps or websites you order from)... how much do you tip? Do you have a flat dollar amount that you consistently go with - maybe adjusting slightly for the order being very small or very large? Do you tip a percentage of the grocery bill, and if so, what percentage?

I am asking because of a post I saw on FB on this topic that has left me really scratching my head. I'll share what was said later. I'd first like to see the responses.

Thanks!

I think $2-3 is standard.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:54 am
There's a whole thread about it here.

Keep in mind how much time the delivery person has to spend on your order. Instacart, I think they actually SHOP for you. Depending on the size of your order, that could be an hour, plus bringing it to your house, etc. And the services tend to pay their workers really poorly.

Walmart usually contracts out to DoorDash. Which also pays poorly, OTOH it's just delivery, Walmart does the shopping part.

The consensus on imamother was that $2-3 was NOT sufficient even for Walmart, so definitely not for instacart.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Keep in mind how much time the delivery person has to spend on your order. Instacart, I think they actually SHOP for you. Depending on the size of your order, that could be an hour, plus bringing it to your house, etc. And the services tend to pay their workers really poorly.

Walmart usually contracts out to DoorDash. Which also pays poorly, OTOH it's just delivery, Walmart does the shopping part.

The consensus on imamother was that $2-3 was NOT sufficient even for Walmart, so definitely not for instacart.

I didn't see that other thread, but delivery people choose to do this for a living and know how much the salary is. I look at tipping more as showing a bit of gratitude than paying part of their salary.

This reminds me of the tipping day camp counselors dilemma...

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:00 am
There is no salary. They are not contracted workers. The service apparently treats it like a waitress job, where tips are assumed part of the income, and pay abysmally. (Think $3 for an entire Walmart order, which takes minimum 20 minutes between driving to Walmart, waiting for it to be loaded in your car, driving to the customer's home, unloading groceries. And you pay for gas too.)

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:02 am
There is no salary. They are not contracted workers. The service apparently treats it like a waitress job, where tips are assumed part of the income, and pay abysmally. (Think $3 for an entire Walmart order, which takes minimum 20 minutes between driving to Walmart, waiting for it to be loaded in your car, driving to the customer's home, unloading groceries. And you pay for gas too.)

Ah, ok. I guess it's exactly like the day camps then. Confused

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:04 am

What is poorly?

I know we are conditioned to tipping waiters 18% (It's automatic here in FL in kosher restaurants) and certainly someone who is both shopping and delivering our grocery order is working at least as hard - but I also understand that waiters get paid way below minimum wage and this is allowed because of the tips. If I knew shoppers were being paid $2 and change per hour instead of at least minimum wage that would definitely change my tipping habits.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:05 am

Ok, this was posted while I was responding. Wow. Had no idea.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:14 am
I tip 20% of the bill so for $100 I'd tip $20
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics