Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
What's your favorite non-kosher (veggie) cookbook?
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:02 pm
The Cabbagetown Cookbook
Chinese Meatless Cooking by Stella Lau-Fessler
The Complete Book of Indian Cooking by Shehzad Husain (easy to make kosher)
The James Beard Bread Book

I know you said non-kosher, but these are too good not to list.

Cooking Kosher the Natural Way by Jane Kinderlehrer
Chinese Kosher Cooking by Betty Goldberg

I'm also a big fan of searching Pinterest for recipes, and when I find ones I like I add them to my own pin board.

artsy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:08 pm
Thanks for these!

challahchallah

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:25 pm
I’m a big fan of Plenty.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 3:27 am
I collect cookbooks but most have meat. I'll look if I have a veggie one

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 5:25 am
I'm a vegetarian and cook almost exclusively out of vegetarian or vegan cookbooks not aimed at frum consumers. My favorites, some of which have already been mentioned:

Anything by Isa Moskowitz! These are vegan cookbooks and almost every recipe I've ever made from her is delicious. She has a new one, I Can Cook Vegan, aimed at newer vegans. Otherwise, my favorites from her are Isa Does It (all purpose weeknight recipes), Appetite for Reduction (healthier food with nutrition info included), and Veganomicon. Terry Hope Romero (coauthor on Veganomicon and the dessert cookbooks) also has several cookbooks I use often, one focused on salad and one on Latin American food.

Vegan Casseroles and Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson

America's Test Kitchen Complete Vegetarian Cookbook and America's Test Kitchen Vegan for Everybody

Vegan Richa's Everyday Cooking and Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen - many of her recipes are also on her blog.

If you have a kindle, check Amazon for the ebook versions - I've gotten many of these for under $3.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 6:37 am
artsy wrote:
Is anyone bothered by reference to not jewish holidays in any of these books? Or anything else that would be a concern?

There were two books mentioned in other threads. CRANKS vegetarian.

And Tassajara Bread Book.
Was wondering if Cranks has any references to non jewish holidays etc.
And Tassajara is written by a Buddhist Zen Priest.
And he talks about his thoughts a bit in it.
Is this a personal sensitivity?
OR might it be an issue.

Since I don't know anyone on here making recommendations. Keep this in mind that I would want something that doesn't have anything potentially offensive.
(Really would like Tassajara bread book but not sure it is worth it because of it's source)
Don't know of any other bread book that is really classic and simple.

And any other recommendations really appreciated !

I'd always look at December issues of popular ladies magazines to see their holiday cookies (and always find I prefer kosher cookbook recipes, with the possible exception of American's Test Kitchen).
So holiday cookbooks wouldn't faze me. I'd propably be more uncomfortable with a Buddhist oriented cookbook.

artsy

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 7:37 am
There are a lot of good new cookbooks on the market. But I am bothered by pictures of the authors (like full page mutliple pictures). I just want straight recipes. Seems like every cookbook I want to get has something I find objectionable in it.
Is there anyone else that is particular about this? Or maybe those that are particular are the ones only buying the traditional Jewish cookbooks?
I thought about getting them electronically but that doesn't work so well since I don't have a kindle and not very helpful to read it on the app.

Just wondering if this is a consideration for anyone.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:24 am
While a confirmed carnivore, my fave vegetarian cookbooks, are yotam ottolenghi plenty/plenty more.

Second to that mollie katzen moosewood.

Face omnivore ottolenghi Jerusalem.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:49 am
artsy wrote:
There are a lot of good new cookbooks on the market. But I am bothered by pictures of the authors (like full page mutliple pictures). I just want straight recipes. Seems like every cookbook I want to get has something I find objectionable in it.
Is there anyone else that is particular about this? Or maybe those that are particular are the ones only buying the traditional Jewish cookbooks?
I thought about getting them electronically but that doesn't work so well since I don't have a kindle and not very helpful to read it on the app.

Just wondering if this is a consideration for anyone.

Hmm. You mean pictures of the author, not pictures of the food? I can't say I've noticed this. I wonder if these are authors that are getting cookbook deals based on Instagram feeds .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics