Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Low grade’ish fever today. Would you send to school tomorro?
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
So definitely send him to school if he feels fine even if he tests positive. Who cares if he spreads it (I apologize if I am misreading what you are saying).

Are you being serious?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:02 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Please do not test.
But keep the kid home an extra day and see how she’s feeling.

I can understand saying you think this situation doesn’t warrant testing, in fact I agree, but why on earth would you say Please don’t test???

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:06 pm
Fwiw dc was tested the end of last week as mandatory school testing

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Fwiw dc was tested the end of last week as mandatory school testing

The testing in school is not up to any acceptable standards. They test in a way that a negative is almost guaranteed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:12 pm
Medically, this is not considered a fever. If any other symptoms pointing to any disease, kids shouldn't be in school, nothing to do with covid, but if this was the only thing you're asking about, you're allowed to send.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:15 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Medically, this is not considered a fever. If any other symptoms pointing to any disease, kids shouldn't be in school, nothing to do with covid, but if this was the only thing you're asking about, you're allowed to send.

Thanks. dc was feeling warm & looked pale. But nothing in his behavior was out of the ordinary that’s why I was so confused...

Btw regarding when it’s considered a fever or not seems to be discrepancies in how doctors define when/what is a low grade fever.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. dc was feeling warm & looked pale. But nothing in his behavior was out of the ordinary that’s why I was so confused...

Btw regarding when it’s considered a fever or not seems to be discrepancies in how doctors define when/what is a low grade fever.

Right now it's situational, and an extra abundance of caution is prudent. So even if the temp reading is on the fence, whether it's actual fever or not, you take extra care now.

And if he was feeling warm and looked pale, that in itself speaks to something. This wasn't a random spot check that triggered this reading, you took the temp reading cause something set you off to do so.

Consideration for others is what's called for here. You may be inconvenienced for one day while you sort this out, but you may end up inconveniencing a host of others if you don't take the time to sort it out.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:52 pm
Any other year I’d send in a heartbeat. This year I’d likely keep home. I have a flexible schedule though, I feel for those that don’t.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I wasn’t sure why nobody pointed this out till now..

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 10:58 pm
My pediatrician doesn't hold by "low grade fever".
100.4 is a fever.
If your son isn't looking good and it's below that temp, then check him again in an hour, perhaps it's on the way up.

I actually think we're discovering lots of "low grade fever" because people are measuring so much nowadays!
But I suspect there are many normal fluctuations.
And you can have covid without a fever too.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
100.4 is a fever.
If your son isn't looking good and it's below that temp, then check him again in an hour, perhaps it's on the way up.

I actually think we're discovering lots of "low grade fever" because people are measuring so much nowadays!

Hold by? What does that even mean? My kids get low grade fever all the time with viruses. They look off, I check temp, they have low grade fever. It often doesn't go up, but they're uncomfortable and clearly not themselves. Not everyone gets "real" fever when they're sick, if real is only 100.4 and above.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 12:41 am
100.4 is a fever.

Like I posted above, There’s chilikei dayis on what a low grade fever is & whether you consider a low grade fever to be an indication of something. I’ve discussed this in the past with a doctor friend, oncologist & infectious diseases doctor.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:31 am
so ask your pediatrician

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 7:43 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Hold by? What does that even mean? My kids get low grade fever all the time with viruses. They look off, I check temp, they have low grade fever. It often doesn't go up, but they're uncomfortable and clearly not themselves. Not everyone gets "real" fever when they're sick, if real is only 100.4 and above.

You can have a virus without a fever.
Their temperature may be slightly elevated, but it doesn't mean they have a fever.
If you take their temperature every morning and every night when they're not sick you would probably see some fluctuation as well.

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:19 am
You can have a virus without a fever.
Their temperature may be slightly elevated, but it doesn't mean they have a fever.
If you take their temperature every morning and every night when they're not sick you would probably see some fluctuation as well.

I'm sure there's some amount of fluctuation but they have their temp taken daily for months now and they've never had anything above 99. So I'm confident that for my kids a low grade fever is in fact an indicator of viral infection.

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rectal temp was 99.1. Ear thermometer 99.5-100.1. Child acting, feeling perfectly fine just feels warm so checked temp.
Obviously if it’s same tom morn there’s no question about staying home. But does 24 hr fever rule come into play with low grade?

Yes! Even before covid I was very strict with the no fever 24 hr rule. By strict I mean I always kept home an extra day. I can't say it was always the full 24 hrs. Sometimes only 20 hrs, sometimes it ends up more too but even a low grade. Just last week I had 2 kids home. Kid had 99.8-100 fri-shabbbos. Was fever free by motzei shabbos I kept home Sunday.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics