Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Top shelf in build in the wall shelves extends behind wall

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 6:00 pm
It’s an old house. The hallway cabinet is a build in one. On the bottom there are drawers on the top shelf there is a shelf and a big empty space on the top shelf but it’s hard to reach because it’s behind the wall. How can I use it the best?

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 6:22 pm
What???? Maybe take a picture to clarify what you mean. If you mean what I think you do, store bulky items like extra pillows, comforters or rolls of paper towels. or, if you don't need the space, leave the shelf empty. It's not a mitzvah to cram every closet full to the top.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 6:37 pm
zaq wrote:
What???? Maybe take a picture to clarify what you mean. If you mean what I think you do, store bulky items like extra pillows, comforters or rolls of paper towels. or, if you don't need the space, leave the shelf empty. It's not a mitzvah to cram every closet full to the top.

Yes it is what you think. I store pillows in the garage. You are right I can store paper towels but I also have it in the top kitchen cabinet. I just moved to this house. Every closet is upgraded except this one. I will figure it out or I will live the top empty:( I’m just wondering what were they thinking when they build this house in 1925??? Why didn’t they extend the shelves to the top (I guess it won’t look that nice). Thank you!

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:17 pm
Suitcases.
Sleeping bags.
Pesach dishes.
Things you're collecting for your two-year-old's trousseau.
Purim costumes.
Reject gifts you only pull out when the gift-givers visit.

You can install additional shelves a little narrower than the existing shelves. Of course you'll need a ladder to get to the shelves, which may be why the original builder didn't install shelves.

or install a closet rod and hang out-of-season clothing.

But seriously, the best thing is to leave it empty unless you really really need the storage, which, if you moved in only recently, you shouldn't. Nature hates a vacuum and the space will eventually fill up as if by magic.

Pillows in the garage? I wouldn't. Eventually they'll smell like tires, gasoline or mildew.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:22 pm
In 1925 people didn't have a fraction of the STUFF people have today.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics