Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Buying cut up fruit In supermarket
Previous  1  2

moonstone

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 9:55 pm
bunchagirlies wrote:
you cannot buy anything cut up in a non-jewish store! The knives can be non-kosher! I know people buy fresh salmon in costco. Although they don't share knives for diff type of fish, for allergy reasons, who said they didn't use it for shell fish the day before and wash it well? It's still treif!!
I was surprised to hear that so many do buy there, so I asked a rav that specializes in kashrus. He was appalled!! "CHAS V'SHALOM!!"

Whoa, calm down. Ease up on the exclamation marks.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 1:40 am
bunchagirlies wrote:
you cannot buy anything cut up in a non-jewish store! The knives can be non-kosher! I know people buy fresh salmon in costco. Although they don't share knives for diff type of fish, for allergy reasons, who said they didn't use it for shell fish the day before and wash it well? It's still treif!!
I was surprised to hear that so many do buy there, so I asked a rav that specializes in kashrus. He was appalled!! "CHAS V'SHALOM!!"

I'm not sure why you think this. A clean cold knife poses no kashrus problems.

4g01o

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:01 am
Precut fruit and veg is allowed! They have to be so careful bc of allergies etc, they don't mix up machines/knives!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:32 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I'm not sure why you think this. A clean cold knife poses no kashrus problems.

Not exactly true.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:34 am
Fab4 wrote:
Precut fruit and veg is allowed! They have to be so careful bc of allergies etc, they don't mix up machines/knives!

Depends where it was cut. A smaller operation has less mirsus and not as likely a chance for bitul as a larger scale operation.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 6:45 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Not exactly true.

Mashgichim prefer otherwise for ease, but a clean knife with cold food doesn't render the food treif.

You might run into issues of milk and meat with cutting a davar charif, but stores use separate knives for produce, meat and cheese for health code reasons.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 7:50 am
Shamnunis wouldn't render a food treif per se, but the part the blade touched would need to be cut off.

In large supermarket chains, yes different knives will be used as I said, but not necessarily in mom and pop types or restaurants.

egam

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:00 am
bunchagirlies wrote:

Let's start with saying that Costco doesn't cut fish fillets. They only repackage them from a manufacturer's box. We asked.
Second, before you go around and accuse a lot of people of being treif eaters, maybe go and learn first. You obviously have the internet access. Search for different opinions on the topic. OU, CRC, others. Not everyone leaves in a frum bubble and has an access to a kosher fish store.
Here's one to start with

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 8:06 am
bunchagirlies wrote:

This does not apply to enormous parts of the frum world. I don’t think anyone who makes blanket statements is ever as correct as they’d be if they don’t. Cut up fruit is considered highly acceptable in today’s stores. Fish is acceptable with shif shuf. I have worked extensively under hashgacha and these standards were applied by a hashgacha agency (COR) where the advising Rebbeim come from all walks of frum life. I do believe that there are outliers ( like people who only use heimishe hechsher from their own Rav) but that does not apply to everyone.

I’m going to assume your Rabbi thought that he was answering gor you personally and that you follow him. Everyone else should find out what their own Rav holds. Many of them can tell you what certifying agencies they hold by and you can look up their collective stances on such things or ask them directly.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 9:30 am
I was told that it's fine to buy cut up Watermelon. They usually use the same clean knife and wouldn't use the same knife for other food stuffs, due to sanitary reasons anyway.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 9:51 am
I once heard a story that also people thought it was fine because the knives are cold, kept separate etc. and then someone went to the back of the store and saw they clean all the knives
together in boiling hot water. So your best bet is to call a rav. I know the star k has a number you can call to ask shaylos

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I once heard a story that also people thought it was fine because the knives are cold, kept separate etc. and then someone went to the back of the store and saw they clean all the knives
together in boiling hot water. So your best bet is to call a rav. I know the star k has a number you can call to ask shaylos

Well, technically, boiling water makes any issues better to some extent but I’ll tell you now that no one boils knives. Sounds like an old wives take to me. Cleaning knives may involve hot water but it also involves detergent. It’s literally pointless to boil a knife unless you are koshering something and even so, cutting with a cold knife, salmon or fruit ( other than sharp ones) would not matter if it was boiled done the foods and knovrs were no chariff. I think that’s a bubba meisse.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

No one boils knives. They may have been washing them in hot water, but it's a safe bet that they were also using soap. In which case, no worries.

Twinster

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:41 am
According to OU, if it’s large scale production it’s fine. Otherwise it may be problematic. You May want to look it up yourself to be sure.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen