Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Second opinion on prism glasses?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:15 am
Would appreciate either a referral and/or personal experiences you've had with this.

I am the same person who posted about a week ago asking where to buy prism glasses. Before spending all that I am wondering if I should get someone to confirm that it's the right move because I'm not sure how well established these protocols are.

Optometrist diagnosed DD with convergence insufficiency. She said the level is moderate but the impact is significant because the issue is with both muscles and focusing. The prescription is for prism lenses with progressive bifocals with +1 for reading on bottom. This is even though DD has no farsightedness.

Part of my confusion is that DD had a full developmental optometry evaluation 3 years ago. She was 6 then and is now 9. That evaluation said she was fine. She also doesn't seem to have any issue with close work - she loves to read and reads a TON, including books with small fonts. She loves to draw and does it very well. Her handwriting is atrocious but if she draws so well I'm assuming that's not a coordination or focusing issue.

So should I get a second opinion? And are bifocals really necessary if she has never had any reading issue and would not have a reading prescription if not for the prism situation? It's the progressive bifocal situation that's making it so expensive. Of course if this is the appropriate solution for my child there is no question I'll put out the few hundred dollars, but I also don't want to take the chance of messing up her vision if this is the wrong move. I'm wondering if this is a case of someone who's into prism lenses being like the hammer who sees everything as a nail.

Interested in opinions/experiences of people who have had this. And if you know anyone who could give a second opinion, preferably without redoing the entire eye exam, I'm located in NY and can get to Brooklyn, Queens, or Manhattan.

TIA

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:17 am
Get a second opinion pls.
I had a similar thing and also the eye place told me they were the only people who made proper prism glasses.

I got a second opinion and when I mentioned it the person said "Well I see how its possible you'd benefit from it but seeing as you see fine now in your glasses and have no headaches I don't think it's neccesary."

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:24 am
The optometrist we saw does not make the prism glasses and did not recommend any specific place to have them made, so there's no personal stake. They also recommended therapy exercises to do at home rather than coming to them for therapy so again no personal stake. Though again I wonder if it's the hammer and nail situation. My other child she said had a similar thing but was able to focus better even with it so she didn't think she needed prisms. That child has glasses for regular vision already. So it does seem the optometrist is at least somewhat specific.

DD has no glasses prescription other than this and has never worn glasses for anything. She does complain of headaches a little more often than I think is normal for her age, can't be sure it's from this but I would want to try dealing with this to see if it helps. The question is just whether this specific recommendation is on the mark. I've never heard of adding bifocals with a reading prescription for someone who isn't farsighted at all, but I'm far from expert in this.

If you are in Brooklyn could you share who you went to for a second opinion?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 11:05 am
All the issues (including awful handwriting), can be neurologically based.
I'd test for pandas/lyme.
(Awful handwriting is telltale sign and sight issues).

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 11:26 am
Go to dr gelfond at Ezra medical center.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics