Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Rabbi Sacks BDE
Previous  1  2

Bitachon123

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 5:11 pm
Truly sad!! BDE Crying
He truly filled a void in this complicated religious world. He was such an inspiration, to so many people, all across the spectrum.

Recently, after going through some tough times when I couldn't listen to many shiurim or accept the words of many Rabonim, Rabbi Sackss words never failed to enlighten me, inspire me, and restore my faith in the beauty of Judaism. He has such a pure, yet deep and profound way of bringing concepts down to earth and making everything so relevant and so applicable.

A true giant. A pure mentch. An incredible mind. An articulate oriter. A genuine inspiration. A kind soul. An intellectual master. A unique human being.

He will be so missed. What a tremendously painful loss. He stood for so much and I don't think there is anyone who can truly fill his place.

erm

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 6:55 pm
Bde what a great loss.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 7:00 pm
BDE

What a loss!

I had a son who was struggling with Yiddishkeit a few years ago and Rabbi Sacks writings were a major factor in why he did not leave.

Although I am from a completely different community from him and otherwise barely would have heard of him I'm crying over him as I type this.

icebreaker

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 7:02 pm
BDE Sad

STMommy

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 7:53 pm
Baruch Dayan HaEmet.

Even though I was not so familiar with him, you could tell he was a mentsch.

Yehi zichro baruch.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 8:09 pm
Such sad news. BDE.

1ofbillions

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 9:58 pm
I’m heartbroken. He was so wise and compassionate and intelligent. A true rabbi and role model.

mama11

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 10:03 pm
BDE. It is such a huge loss. He was such an erudite man who used his many Cochos to help Klal Yisrael. It is so so upsetting to hear of his passing!

sneakermom

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 10:04 pm
BDE
May he be a meilitz yosher for klall yisroel

Lita

Post Sat, Nov 07 2020, 10:08 pm
He sanctified Gods’ name. What a loss to the Jewish people and to the world.
We need more shining lights like him. BDE

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 1:03 am
BDE
I just found out, news lost in the drek of everything else.

I loved reading his weekly parish commentary. He was a class act.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 1:15 am
Devastating.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 8:51 am
While Rav Dovid Feinstein (I'm not sure if I should write zt"l before the levaya) should have his own thread, I want to say that when klal Yisrael suffers such a sucker punch it behooves us to think and do cheshbon hanefesh. There is no way that any one person could begin to fill the void but together, we can try to act more in the ways that these great tzaddikim and true gedolim acted. Look at what everyone is writing Rabbi Sacks, zt"l, the mix of warmth and wisdom and intellect used for avodas Hashem and His people.

If anyone has access to Rabbi Reisman's shiur last night (usually available for pay only or by subscription, or perhaps a community library) he spoke about halacha. Specifically how pure fealty to halacha elevates (apropos to pesel Micha where some say that it wasn't pure avoda zara but disregard for halacha such as lo saasun Iti). He used it as a springboard to discuss the pure and important to learn from motives of some "anti-mussar" people, how learning, agaddah and halacha, can give us much mussar. (Think of chazal about what embarrassing people is like, etc., and if one takes those writings seriously.)

Mussar is like slow-acting medicine. Very effective, but like the rock that takes years for water to make a hole in, it takes time. OTOH halacha is quick acting: think of how smokers can go 25 hours without smoking because after all, it's halacha. Or a child who's told that certain candy isn't kosher.

A baal halacha like Rav Dovid was a fully developed person in all his middos. One who bases his actions on what is the halachic imperative will be acting most ethically.

Now, we would be foolish if we didn't acknowledge Rabbi Sacks' breadth of Torah knowledge, and Rav Dovid's great ethical character and what he was able to impart. I only offer this as guideposts to what we can try to incorporate more in our lives to bring some light into the world.

ETA: I'm listening to an unlikely maspid, Krista Tippett, on NPR's On Being. I'm sure it's in the NPR archives.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

heidi

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
BDE

What a loss!

I had a son who was struggling with Yiddishkeit a few years ago and Rabbi Sacks writings were a major factor in why he did not leave.

Although I am from a completely different community from him and otherwise barely would have heard of him I'm crying over him as I type this.

My son was also struggling with how to believe.
Rabbi Sacks' rational and brilliant words and ideas spoke to him profoundly. BH he is now a true believer.
Rabbi Sacks' divrei Torah were a staple of our shabbos table. His haggadah enhanced our seder.
This is such a tremendous horrible loss

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:15 pm
https://rabbisacks.org/hespeidim/

youngishbear

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 3:52 pm
He touched so many people through his writing. His divrei torah were soaked in ahavas yisroel and vast knowledge, a combination that made his work accessible and inspirational. His passing made me so sad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed