Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Packaged frozen schnitzel/nuggets really bad?
Previous  1  2

honey36

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:23 pm
gyf45 wrote:
My kids will have no prob eating this way:
Chicken strips or cubes dipped in flour then egg (with some salt added) then Rice Krispies
Put in pan spray with pam and bake 420 for 15-20 min. Maybe ur kids didn’t like since I saw u didn’t mention dipping in flour first, and some kids dont like the cornflake crumbs.

I've tried regular bread crumbs also, not good at all. Didn't turn brown in oven. Panko was better, but I think they liked the cornflake the best. Never tried with the flour, and also not with rice krispies! They may think that's interesting. Thanks for the ideas!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Here’s a pretty healthy version of schnitzel with a simple but yummy taste. My picky kids like it. From Jamie Geller cookbook:

Mix 1/2 cup flour with 1/4 cup matzo meal, plus salt and pepper. Dip cutlets in beaten egg, then coat with flour mixture.

Heat olive oil in pan, then cook chicken over high heat for 3-4 minutes per side. Don’t crowd chicken in pan or it won’t brown.

When chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pan. Drain oil from pan. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to pan, stirring to get up all the browned bits. Spoon broth over cutlets.

This will come out much better if you dip the cutlets in flour first and then in egg. I know it’s three steps my way - flour first, eggs, crumbs last, but if you try it both ways you’ll definitely see it’s worth the extra step. Also, a mixture of flour and matzo meal will make a nice coating, but you’ll get much better, tastier, crispier results with corn flake crumbs, bread crumbs or panko. My kids like a mixture of corn flake crumbs and panko.

ETA I don’t know why she has you spooning broth over the cutlets? After frying the cutlets in oil (canola is best) why would you ruin that crispy yumminess by pouring broth on them? Drain them on paper towels and serve them right away.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
This will come out much better if you dip the cutlets in flour first and then in egg. I know it’s three steps my way - flour first, eggs, crumbs last, but if you try it both ways you’ll definitely see it’s worth the extra step. Also, a mixture of flour and matzo meal will make a nice coating, but you’ll get much better, tastier, crispier results with corn flake crumbs, bread crumbs or panko. My kids like a mixture of corn flake crumbs and panko.

This definitely is not the crispiest cutlet recipe, but it doesn’t really matter as it has broth poured on in the end. My kids love the chicken soup taste.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 10:44 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
This definitely is not the crispiest cutlet recipe, but it doesn’t really matter as it has broth poured on in the end. My kids love the chicken soup taste.

I see you answered my question. If your kids love it, I can’t argue with that!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 11:50 pm
honey36 wrote:
The fattening issue doesn't bother me, it's more that the frying is a hassle. Ive been curious about these air fryers but really hesitant to get another kitchen gadget. Also the ones I've seen are huge and I dont really have room, but maybe I'll look into it a bit more and see if ppl rlly think it's worth it...

You don't need an air fryer. Just buy a wire rack to lay on top of a cookie sheet. And set your breaded chicken on top of the rack so the heat & air distribute on top and bottom of the chicken simultaneously.

You can also just spray the cutlets top & bottom, lay on a regular cookie sheet, and bake for 20 minutes at 400 (without the rack), and flip over halfway through.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 12:13 am
Ok, I shouldn't have opened this thread. My youngest is soooo picky. The nuggets are the only way to get any chicken in his diet. Praegers fish is the only way to get fish. No other animal protein besides dairy. And not always even that. No beans. Not even if he doesn't know what it is. Like if we called it by a different name, gave dressing to dip, or anything else we tried!!! Not even hot dogs. What I would give for him to eat a hot dog! Or a burger.

Yikes... I mean this was our saving grace- we were thrilled when he ate that. Cheering (behind closed doors after he went to bed.) we don't push food, we offer and ask what they want. My others are so easy going. No one was ever like this- maybe they refused something but we had alternatives. They eat lentil soup, fresh veggies if there is dip, beans, chicken in many ways...

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 12:39 am
Most people I know serve chicken nuggets but sometimes but fresh is probably better if the kids will eat it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking