Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
First yarmulkes

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 2:21 pm
My son is going to have his upsherin soon and I'm trying to figure out what kind of Yarmulke is appropriate for him. I live in London. We will likely be sending our son to Noam Primary next year. What is considered the range of normal for boys attending there or Menorah Foundation/Menorah Primary?

I understand that velvet ones are no longer in fashion in Lakewood. Is this the case for London as well?

Thanks

behappy2

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 2:28 pm
I don't live in London, but their size changes after the upsherin (unless you don't do a short haircut) so don't get too many.

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 2:33 pm
behappy2 wrote:
I don't live in London, but their size changes after the upsherin (unless you don't do a short haircut) so don't get too many.

Thanks for the warning Smile

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 2:39 pm
Mazal tov! I think it’s between suede and Ikippah style. Menorah primary is more likely to be Ikippah but with a scattering of suede, and foundation possibly more 50/50.
Noam I don’t know much about other than hearing it’s a lovely school!

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Mazal tov! I think it’s between suede and Ikippah style. Menorah primary is more likely to be Ikippah but with a scattering of suede, and foundation possibly more 50/50.
Noam I don’t know much about other than hearing it’s a lovely school!

when you say ikippah --- which ones -- linen? velvet? corduroy? cotton? there are so many on the ikippah website.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 3:19 pm
kreative wrote:
when you say ikippah --- which ones -- linen? velvet? corduroy? cotton? there are so many on the ikippah website.

Cotton patterned are funky and all round. Velvet probably not seen very much. And then linen and corduroy depending on season.

I would get a couple of whatever style you choose and when you see what you like on your son and what you notice on others get some more. Start off with a small collection!

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 3:32 pm
Cotton patterned are funky and all round. Velvet probably not seen very much. And then linen and corduroy depending on season.

I would get a couple of whatever style you choose and when you see what you like on your son and what you notice on others get some more. Start off with a small collection!

Thank you! Very helpful

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:10 pm
Op can you tell me what kind of crowd Noam is? Moving to London next year and I only know about Menorah and Pardes House.

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:13 pm
Noam is a mixture of the two.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:16 pm
kreative wrote:
Noam is a mixture of the two.

Thank you. Do you mean less yeshivish then pardes but not as rigid as menorah?

BTW you can get ikappahs from Bitz of Glitz.

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Thank you. Do you mean less yeshivish then pardes but not as rigid as menorah?

BTW you can get ikappahs from Bitz of Glitz.

That's what my DH says. I'm not originally from UK.. so it's all what I hear. Professional yeshivish. school only became state aided recently. it's currently mixed gender for certain grades/subjects.. but I believe they hope to eventually have separate as school grows.

Maybe someone else has a better description.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:29 pm
kreative wrote:
That's what my DH says. I'm not originally from UK.. so it's all what I hear. Professional yeshivish. school only became state aided recently. it's currently mixed gender for certain grades/subjects.. but I believe they hope to eventually have separate as school grows.

Maybe someone else has a better description.

Until what grade is it mixed? Not looking for co-Ed Pardes is too Frum and old fashioned and Menorah is too English...

kreative

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Until what grade is it mixed? Not looking for co-Ed Pardes is too Frum and old fashioned and Menorah is too English...

Not sure. Maybe someone else can answer.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Pardes chol education is definitely not old fashioned. And their kodesh is not either. Is a really solid education. And it’s nothing like it was 20 years ago in terms of the rebbes. They have a fabulous staff. They have fantastic programs that they are running for Kriah and Chumash and the kids are doing extremely well. It’s a very warm school. Which bit is too frum? The parent body? Anyone who wants a ‘frum yeshivish’ school won’t be sending to Pardes.

Not trying to convince you to send there but just want you to have correct information.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:45 pm
kreative wrote:
Not sure. Maybe someone else can answer.

And Noam is mixed through the school. The older boys learn mishnayis and gemarah I beleive which the girls obv don’t learn so they are split then but the rest they are together

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 6:00 pm
Pardes chol education is definitely not old fashioned. And their kodesh is not either. Is a really solid education. And it’s nothing like it was 20 years ago in terms of the rebbes. They have a fabulous staff. They have fantastic programs that they are running for Kriah and Chumash and the kids are doing extremely well. It’s a very warm school. Which bit is too frum? The parent body? Anyone who wants a ‘frum yeshivish’ school won’t be sending to Pardes.

Not trying to convince you to send there but just want you to have correct information.

Thanks. I appreciate the information. Dh went their 15,20 years ago and I thought the chinuch methods were very old fashioned and the school cold. I’m glad to hear it’s improved. I’ll definitely look into further. Maybe I’ll start a S/O- don’t want to derail- sorry op!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 6:41 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate the information. Dh went their 15,20 years ago and I thought the chinuch methods were very old fashioned and the school cold. I’m glad to hear it’s improved. I’ll definitely look into further. Maybe I’ll start a S/O- don’t want to derail- sorry op!

Yes sorry OP! But just to say yes!!! Definitely a totally different school to what it was then! No comparison! My DH and brothers were there 20+ years ago and I would NEVER have sent my boys if it was the same school as it was then. Literally a different place other than the building.

Happy to answer questions on a S/o.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics