Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
10 year old boy with thyroid issue

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 6:58 pm
Anyone have a child so young with thyroid issues?
I think my son does - have an appointment next week
I’m nervous
Please share experiences if your young child has something with thyroid

( it runs in my family)

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 7:03 pm
My 11. year old might. Which doc are you going to? I'm looking for one that takes Healthfirst Child Health Plus. Honestly, that is probably the age where it gets discovered, if they're short, or their body is not maturing like other kids their age.

newyorkmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 7:03 pm
Hi, my daughter has been diagnosed since 9 years old. It is also very hereditary in my family. I got in in my 20’s but I have had a sibling who got it at age 12. So it’s not common in children, but definitely happens. The only issue we saw was slowed growth. Now that she’s on medication, her growth has improved and she’s fine bh. She has her own pill case and knows to take her pill every morning. She gets checked every 6 months (blood work) to see if the dose is good. It’s actually very easy to treat. It’s more serious in women if they are pregnant since it’s important that thyroid levels are good during pregnancy.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 7:12 pm
my bro was born with thyroid issues. a little pill daily and all is well. bh for synthroid

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 7:39 pm
My nephew was diagnosed around that time.
He was 9 I think. Had different symptoms.
At around 15 he randomly just stopped taking his meds. Symptoms didnt reappear. And its been 5 years and all his bloodwork has been perfect ever since.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My nephew was diagnosed around that time.
He was 9 I think. Had different symptoms.
At around 15 he randomly just stopped taking his meds. Symptoms didnt reappear. And its been 5 years and all his bloodwork has been perfect ever since.

What were his symptoms?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 8:05 pm
Hatzlacha. There have been some other recent threads about pediatric thyroid issues. Just make sure you get copies of labs and that the doctor is willing to do not just TSH but T3 and T4 too.

going-up

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 10:03 pm
My 9 year old son was born with hypothyroidism. It's really no biggie, he takes a synthroid pill first thing in the morning and has to go for blood tests every 6 months, if levels fluctuate then a little more often. The great thing about synthroid/levothyroxine is it has no side effects, it just keeps your TSH where they are supposed to be and doesn't affect anything else.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 10:08 pm
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it

Can anyone share what symptoms they had?( before diagnosis)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics