Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Unstuffed cabbage in the crock pot

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:10 am
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe? Bonus points if it can be prepared the night before.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 11:46 am
I chop an onion, put in whatever meat I have at home (like chuck or kalachel) add a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, a bag of shredded cabbage, salt, pepper, 3 Bay leaves, about 2-3 cups of water. Leave it on high all day.
I made it once or twice with ground beef and I liked it, but the hubby and kids don't like ground beef so I make it with regular meat. It's like a filling soup.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 1:03 pm
Thank you. I did want to make it with ground meat, and maybe also some rice. If I don’t get any more responses I guess I’ll just wing it

mamaleh

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 2:10 pm
I think I saw one in one of the magazines recently. don't know if I can find it, maybe someone else remembers where it was.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 2:17 pm
I have a good easy recipe for making unstuffed cabbage in a pan in the oven if you want that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 2:17 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
I have a good easy recipe for making unstuffed cabbage in a pan in the oven if you want that.
yes please

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 2:57 pm
I had one posted on here years ago. Will see if I can pull one up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 08 2020, 3:00 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99080

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yes please

I'm really sorry it has taken me a couple days to post the recipe! Here you go, it's adapted from the Taste of Pesach cookbook by Yeshiva Meon HaTorah.
Ingredients:
one 8-oz package shredded green cabbage (I think the original recipe calls for 2 bags)
10 oz sauerkraut, drained
For meat mixture: 2 lbs ground meat, 2 eggs, 4 Tbsp ketchup, salt, pepper, and onion powder
For sauce: 1 large white onion, diced. Two 15-oz cans tomato sauce. 2.5 cups water 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Combine ingredients for meat mixture. Set aside.
In a saucepan, saute onion until translucent. Add rest of sauce ingredients and bring to low boil over medium heat. Let cook a few minutes.
In 10x10 inch square baking dish, layer as follows: half the cabbage, meat mixture, sauerkraut, other half of the cabbage.
Pour the sauce over it. Bake, covered, for 2.5 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking