Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When do babies start to laugh?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 10:41 pm
My baby is five months old this week, and she's still not laughing. She smiles a lot, does a lot of talking/making sounds, and is doing all the other usual developmental things for 5 months, but she's still not laughing.

The baby book says babies usually start laughing between 3-4 months, and both my other kids started then.

Is this a cause for concern? Would you be worried?

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 11:53 pm
Don't worry! My baby also did not laugh at that age. I don't remember when she did her first laugh but it was way after the baby books said it typically happens. She is 1 now and just not a big laugher. Happy child just does not laugh much.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 8:12 am
It sounds like she's hitting all of her milestones just fine. I'm sure she'll laugh when she's good and ready.

Did you know that some people are not ticklish? That's usually a baby's first laugh, when you tickle them. If she just sits there and looks at you like "What on earth was THAT?", then she's probably one of the rare few.

Just keep talking to her, and be extremely expressive. Copy her babble back to her. Babies love it when you make the same noises they do, and it really engages their brains to want to reach out and connect.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 9:22 am
Mine laughed at 6 weeks, so it doesn't have to be 3-4 months. Just whenever your baby's ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics