Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Help with a project!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 3:38 pm
I thought I had a great idea. I bought a pretty gold-framed bulletin board from Michael's a while ago (which I can't even show you bec they don't have it now). My idea was to take it out of the frame and cover the cork with a piece of fabric to match my room. Then I would use it to display my collection of pins (instead of rummaging through the pretty tea chest where they currently reside in a bit of a jumble).

Well, lo and behold, yesterday I finally took it out of the box & discovered that the backing is stapled on with heavy duty staples. I tried a nail file, jewelry pliers, even a very sharp knife. I don't think I can get them off.

Do I just iron under the edges & glue the fabric? I feel like it will be bulky. Or I can try to cut exactly & glue. I am in a dilemma here.

Should I just gift the framed bulletin board & start again with a plain cork tile & forget the frame?

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 4:16 pm
Are you referring to such a kind of thing (pic below)?

If yes, why don't you cut the board within the frame (where I marked a dashed blue line)?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 4:50 pm
Cut out the cork, staple on the material, and glue back in? Sounds like a plan! Thanks! I thought s/o might be able to help me.

I suspect I need to trim just a smidegeon, because with the extra fabric it may not fit back in... I guess I can try that before I staple.

Thanks for taking the time to help, YiddishMom!

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 4:59 pm
Staple remover

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:02 pm
Oh, I didn't realize you wanted the board back in the frame after it's covered. I thought you just wanted the board without the frame.

In that case I'd say take it to a framing shop, they might have the right staple remover.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 5:03 pm
I don't think a regular staple remover will work (I have one, I just can't find it ; ) . These babies are in really really tight. I can't get a grip on them with my thinnest knife. Although now I'm thinking, a mat knife to take away a little of the cardboard backing...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 10 2020, 6:19 pm
Hah! I cut into the backing with my nice sharp fleishig knife (it will never be the same...)
However, now I find that the picture hanging thingies are screwd into the wood of the frame, through the backing! So now will have to go hunt for my miniature screwdriver!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:14 pm
Got it!

Staple gun was nowhere to be found. Fortunately one of my kids returned my hammer so I was able to take a few heavy duty staples & hammer them into the same spots where I had pulled out old staples.

Next project will be re-arranging all the various items hanging on my walls : )

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:44 pm
Nice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics