Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Shampoo bottles with mildew on top?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 4:00 pm
Besides for only keeping a limited number of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the shower area, how do you keep from mildew growing under and around the lids?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:33 pm
It's not mildew, it's dried product. From time to time I remove the cap and wash it and the neck of the bottle, scrubbing away the accumulated gunk with that greatest of all cleaning tools, an old toothbrush. When I think of it, I also wipe down the bottom of the bottle.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 11:13 pm
zaq wrote:
It's not mildew, it's dried product. From time to time I remove the cap and wash it and the neck of the bottle, scrubbing away the accumulated gunk with that greatest of all cleaning tools, an old toothbrush. When I think of it, I also wipe down the bottom of the bottle.

I'm referring to the black stuff.

mamma llama

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm referring to the black stuff.

It actually turns pinkish by me. I usually just try not to think about it too much, but it would probably help if you dry the bottles after showers.

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 3:17 am
I have never encountered this before. Is your bathroom poorly ventilated? When not on use, can you leave the door/window open? Are you keeping your products on the floor? If so, can you install a hanging shelf higher up? Perhaps that would help.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:37 am
Mold needs three things to thrive; oxygen, water, and organic material on which to feed. Remove any one of the three and the mold can't thrive. Which one(s) you remove is up to you. You COULD store your shampoo bottles in a vessel filled with nitrogen, but it seems to me that drying off the bottles after every shower would be the cheapest and easiest.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 10:20 am
Its usually underneath the lid not on the outside so I dont understand how it even develops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry