Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Waffle Latke or Latke Benedict.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:06 am
I had read reviews of restaurants serving potato pancake waffles and I was intrigued so when I saw this recipe I had to try it.

I didn't make it as written - I think the recipe as written would be somewhat of a Latke Benedict with the poached egg on top of a form of protein. But I just made the waffle and then used it as a base for lox with sour cream - cream cheese would have been difficult to spread on a waffle. LOL

I also didn't deep fry the waffle after it came out of the waffle iron as suggested. However, it would actually be a time saver if one wanted to serve for a crowd at a party at a Hanukah party because one could make the waffles in advance and then deep fry them right before serving.

These were good and would make a fun variation for a Chanukah party instead of or in addition to regular latkes. I think one could modify the flavorings to one's taste although the only strong flavor is dill and that is a pretty classic seasoning for fish dishes. But one could easily exclude if one wasn't using it as the base for lox.

Waffle Latke with Smoked Salmon and a Poached Egg

Excerpt From: Bob Blumer - Flavorbomb

This dish has it all: the crunch of a crispy fried potato-celeriac-parsnip waffle, the silkiness of smoked salmon, the salty pop of salmon roe, and the unctuousness of a perfectly poached egg. It’s a decadent combination that’s perfect for a special breakfast or brunch, and equally suitable for dinner.
Making the latke waffle is easy, but it does involve a two-step process that requires a waffle maker and some deep-frying. If that seems like too much trouble, feel free to reconfigure the waffle into a conventional pan-fried latke fritter, or quit while you are ahead after cooking the latkes on a waffle iron. But let it be known, deep-frying the latke waffle is the shizzle that turns this dish into a Flavorbomb.

Time 45 minutes + extra time if you sous vide the eggs

Serves 4

Advance Work

The waffles can be made earlier in the day, then deep-fried just before serving

6 eggs, divided
1 large russet potato, peel on
1 large parsnip (may be replaced with a second russet potato)
½ celeriac (may be replaced with a second parsnip or a second potato), trimmed
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp coarse cornmeal, or another grind of cornmeal, or one additional Tbsp of flour
1 shallot, minced
¼ cup fresh dill, stemmed + the nicest tops reserved
1 tsp dill seeds or fennel seeds (optional)
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Vegetable oil, or olive oil spray
Peanut or vegetable oil for frying

½ cup sour cream
8 ounces best available cold-smoked salmon, lox, or gravlax
1 lemon
1 ounce salmon roe (optional)
2 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice

If you plan to poach the eggs, do so as the final step before serving. If you plan to sous vide the eggs, set the sous vide maker to 147°. When the water comes to temperature, gently add 4 of the eggs in their shells and cook for 60 minutes. To serve: crack the eggs one at a time into a bowl. Some watery white will separate from the rest of the cooked white and yolk. Use a slotted spoon to lift out the egg, leaving the watery bit in the bowl. Repeat with the remaining eggs.

FOR THE LATKE WAFFLES Grate the potato on the large side of a grater. Cup the grated potato in your hands, stand over a bowl or the sink, and squeeze out every last drop of water your gym-toned muscles can extract. Reserve the potato. Grate the parsnip and celeriac. Reserve.

In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs. Add the potato, parsnip, celeriac, flour, cornmeal, shallot, dill, dill seeds, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly with a fork.

Preheat a waffle iron. When the iron is smoking hot, spray with oil.

Spoon ½ cup of the potato mixture onto each segment of the waffle iron. Close the top and cook until browned and crispy. Remove the waffles and reserve. (At this point, the waffles can be refrigerated for up to a day.)

Preheat a deep fryer, or fill a tall, heavy, medium pot one-third full of oil. Heat the oil to 350°F. When the oil is ready, fry the waffles for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.

If you are poaching the eggs: while waffles are frying, fill a medium-size pan with 3 inches of water and add the vinegar or lemon juice. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil. HACK: to help your eggs “set up” in the water, crack them into a small, not-so-fine strainer and let the thin liquid that surrounds the egg white drip through the strainer. Tip the strainer into the water to release the eggs. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 90 seconds, or until the egg whites are no longer translucent. Transfer with the same strainer to a clean dishtowel.

TO SERVE: Schmear a couple of tablespoons of sour cream over the center of each waffle. Top with salmon and squeeze a bit of lemon juice overtop. Top the salmon with a poached or sous vided egg and finish with a teaspoon of salmon roe, a dill sprig, and some black pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes