Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wwyd? Force kids to share snacks from school with siblings?
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:07 am
Stars wrote:
Really? Every time you eat something you offer some to everyone around you?

Not random strangers, but yes, if I’m having something special and fun I wouldn’t eat it in front of my kids or guests unless I’m planning on sharing it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:10 am
I remember hearing a saying "If you show it, you share it."

I thought it had merits (namely avoiding the taunting and showing off), but I never really implemented it because I think sometimes showing your stuff is a joy and I think its also important to allow the kid who got the prize to be queen for a moment. Eventually, as kids get older and have diff tastes, it becomes a non-issue and they can show their stuff without someone being really jealous. Also sometimes the kid who sees it asks nicely, and the other shares. And sometimes they get a "no" and they learn to say "oh well, its okay." And sometimes because I'm the mother and I say so, I'm allowed to say its really hard to want something someone else got, would you like to choose a treat as well. Sometimes you're allowed to be nice to make your kid feel good. Not everything has to be a lesson that gets banged over the head.

ddmom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 12:56 pm
Read the kid's book " Manny in a pickle"!
Very cute story about a man that never learned because everytime he had a tantrum his mother said yes!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 1:42 pm
abound wrote:
They are each individuals and trying to get them to always have to give some of their own things to others is not healthy. If your other child saids that A did not give him/her a wafer just say, A got it in school and it is his to do with as he pleases. Dont force them to share.

I agree with this.

Still, you need to teach your kids not to taunt and tease each other, and make each other cry on purpose. If you're not going to share your snack, be quiet and don't wave it around.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:55 pm
Honestly I did not yet look through this thread, not even the Op. just the title itself triggered me.
So I came to say this: You cannot FORCE upon moral deads if you want your kids to perform

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:24 pm
I disagree with most of these posts. In our house, I teach the kids that if we have the ability to give, we give, especially to family. I practice it, and in turn my kids practice it. My kids regularly save treats for the siblings and offer to share without prompting. In fact, they are excited to share. If it's a prize, then turns are taken. I don't encourage this out of equity but rather to promote the thought process of being a giver. I would not force a child to share, that's not sharing.

Twinster

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I disagree with most of these posts. In our house, I teach the kids that if we have the ability to give, we give, especially to family. I practice it, and in turn my kids practice it. My kids regularly save treats for the siblings and offer to share without prompting. In fact, they are excited to share. If it's a prize, then turns are taken. I don't encourage this out of equity but rather to promote the thought process of being a giver. I would not force a child to share, that's not sharing.

I don’t see how you’re disagreeing with most. We all believe in giving and sharing (at least, I think so).
And in your last line you echo what most are saying - you cannot force it, or it isn’t called sharing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 12:13 am
I have this with 3.5y and 15m, I pick them up one after the other and the older one always has a snack and the baby obviously can't even talk yet. I still don't make them share.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 12:28 am
Mine are very young and while I don't force sharing I definitely compensate the child who doesn't get shared with. Sometimes it's not even the others fault but it's a snack that's not really shareable or it's eaten in the car where they can't reach each other. I'm very happy to give the other a treat or snack as well at home because while life is unfair and unequal as a mother when I have the ability to make a child feel good in such a simple way why wouldn't I? Life is unfair but I hope to be a safe and comforting place for them always. So ok let them all have a pretzel or lollypop after school, no harm done.

pause

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 1:18 pm
Just an interesting occurrence today:

DC4 came home from school and said, "Today I brought home my Shabbos party so that I can share with [DC same-gender-sibling-closest-in-age]."

And I said, "Wow, that is such nice thing to do, to want to share..."

Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics