Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Can I ask for a cash gift?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:17 pm
Someone is coming to visit me for a week. She said she wanted to buy me a bracelet and wanted to know if a 7" would fit me.

Can I just ask for the cash value? Tell her thank you so much, but I'd really just prefer the cash?

I have this problem often.

I have some relatives who come every year for winter break. They usually bring a cookbook for me. While I enjoy cookbooks, I have enough right now and would so much rather the cash, even if it's 25$

They are coming this winter IY"H - can I tell them before they come?

These people are all various degrees of relatives, not strangers, if that makes a difference.

I"m just so done with stuff... I want money (or nothing, but I think they'll feel better if they bring something).

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone is coming to visit me for a week. She said she wanted to buy me a bracelet and wanted to know if a 7" would fit me.

Can I just ask for the cash value? Tell her thank you so much, but I'd really just prefer the cash?

I have some relatives who come every year for winter break. They usually bring a cookbook for me. While I enjoy cookbooks, I have enough right now and would so much rather the cash, even if it's 25$

These people are all various degrees of relatives, not strangers, if that makes a difference.

I"m just so done with stuff... I want money (or nothing, but I think they'll feel better if they bring something).

Its tacky to ask for the cash value, unless you're very close with them.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:25 pm
Sorry, no. If you ask for cash, you're saying that you are a hotel, charging for the room and board. If you can't afford to host, then don't. Asking for money puts your guests in an awkward position.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:34 pm
I understand where you’re coming from but it is tacky to ask for cash and it would feel weird to give cash as a gift to a hostess. If it’s a different type of situation where someone for whatever reason can’t live in their house for a period of time and needs a place to stay and then they’re helping out with utilities and food bills etc then that’s a different story...

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:42 pm
I just wanted to say how nice it is that you host! That is something that is very hard for me. I don't know if you can say what you'd want instead but I think that it's okay to say that you really don't want a bracelet. Obviously say it in a way that's sensitive. But if she asked you about a size then she clearly wants to get you something that you can actually like and wear.The only piece of jewelry I wear is my ring and a watch and I really do not like bracelets at all. It would honestly feel like the person really doesn't appreciate me if she is staying with me and looking to give me a gift that I wouldn't even like. I don't think her intention is to give you something that you don't like but it is more hurtful I think to get a gift that you really really really don't like than getting nothing at all sometimes.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 11:52 pm
It does seem like a waste but it is not polite to reject the gift in favor of the cash.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 1:37 am
Maybe she won a gift certificate to a bracelet and doesnt want it herself

SingALong

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 5:06 am
I would not ask for cash instead of a gift, doesn’t feel polite. But I might respond and suggest a gift certificate To a local store instead. it still feels like a gift, but you can use the money in a way that works for you.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 5:45 am
What pumpkin and others said.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 6:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No, you can't ask for cash.

Yes, you can sell the bracelet (or cookbook, or whatever else it is) after she leaves.

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 6:14 am
No, you can't ask for cash. You can regift, pawn, sell, or give away if you don't want the item. I also don't think you should ask for gift card, which is just a baby step away from cash. I would be annoyed to get such a request from someone and would consider it presumptuous.

Unless someone asks you, totally open ended, "What would you like for a present?" Then you can ask for anything.

Last edited by OOTforlife on Fri, Nov 13 2020, 6:24 am; edited 2 times in total

mommyhood

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 6:21 am
If this is someone you're close with I think you can ask for an alternative gift but not cash. You can say something like, oh that's so sweet I don't need any more bracelets but my kids would love a new game or a gift certificate to a local restaurant...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics