Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Toronto Border

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 2:27 pm
does anyone have an y tips I live in NY and need to travel back and forth to see my family in Toronto.

I only have a canadian passport and am not yet legal in the united states. I have heard stories where they find out you are married and do not let you back into the US.

Does anyone have experinces I can learn from or suggestions?

cindy324

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 3:59 pm
Are you in the US longer than 6 months now? If yes, stay put, because they will not let you reenter, as Canadian citizens only have permission to stay in the US for max 6 months out of the year. Don't go anywhere until you have your green card, or visa stamp in your passport.

If you're in the US less than 6 months, you can come and go as you please. I would advise you not to wear your wedding band or engagement ring while crossing the border, because they CAN and WILL give you a probem if you get a cranky BP agent. They will charge you with entering the country with intent to marry, misrepresentation for not disclosing the fact that you are married to a US citizen, and will NOT let you enter, and start a whole load of trouble for you, among them , not being able to return to the US for YEARS, and even then only if you have a waiver approved on your behalf, which is a long shot. I know it sounds extreme but YOU DO NOT want to tangle with USCIS.

cindy324

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:01 pm
Oh, and feel free to ask anything else you might need to , I have extensive immigration red tape experience LOL

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:24 pm
you need to show your place of birth if you are over 19 yrs old.

cindy324

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:26 pm
Cm, you need to show passport for everyone now, regardless of age.

jemappelle

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 8:33 pm
yes I know someone who's husband is canadian , married an american, and got caught, was stuck in canada...these stories are quite true, especially these days they are tightening security, no more crossing the border with a birth certificate...

cindy324

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 2:38 pm
Quote:
yes I know someone who's husband is canadian , married an american, and got caught, was stuck in canada...these stories are quite true, especially these days they are tightening security, no more crossing the border with a birth certificate...

Yup, and you wouldn't believe the amount of time and $$ it takes to remedy a situation like that. When it comes to USCIS adjudicating applications, they're in no hurry. Usually in a case like above, the DH will most likely be stuck in Canada for anywhere from 9 months to 2 years!

brooklyn

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 3:30 pm
Cindy ,
When you cross the border you are dealing with Customs and Border Protection not Border Patrol(BP) unless of course you are sneaking across the border.

cindy324

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 4:30 pm
oops,sorry...never tried sneaking across the border yet, so no experience with them yet LOL

Anyhow, whichever you deal with, if they're having a bad day...chances are you're having a bad day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics