Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Nyc public schools getting ready to close

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 5:13 pm
mayor deblasio is planning to close nyc public school system very soon, maybe before Thanksgiving still. This is despite the fact that positvcases of public school kids have been very low. He claims it may become necessary if the numbers keep climbing like they are now.

Where does that leave private schools ? If public schools are closed, would it be mandatory for private schools to close too?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 5:27 pm
Probably. If the numbers go high enough. I heard you can think of it as a dimmer switch instead of a light switch. Depending on ever changing conditions, we keep adjusting & tweaking the settings. Makes sense.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:14 pm
Omg. If he does that. I will personally drop off my 2 special needs children at his house every day for 7 hrs. How much can we bear??

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Probably. If the numbers go high enough. I heard you can think of it as a dimmer switch instead of a light switch. Depending on ever changing conditions, we keep adjusting & tweaking the settings. Makes sense.

DeBlasio and sense do not belong in the same sentence.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
mayor deblasio is planning to close nyc public school system very soon, maybe before Thanksgiving still. This is despite the fact that positvcases of public school kids have been very low. He claims it may become necessary if the numbers keep climbing like they are now.

Where does that leave private schools ? If public schools are closed, would it be mandatory for private schools to close too?

There is still an ongoing lawsuit regarding private schools and believe that the lawyers didnt withdraw it for this reason so I guess we have to wait and see if the judge will force private schools to close if public schools close.

The thing about public school though is that there are several holidays coming up. Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years (and Diwali and maybe some others) so maybe the schools can be closed until after the new year and the kids can make up the work in the summer when there will be a vaccine already. Of course if Biden mandates a nationwide lockdown in 2021 then we are all screwed anyway and the kids wont learn anything this year so cancel school altogether for the year. This seems to be the direction we are currently headed in and I am not sure how private schools will be able to remain open if that is the case.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Source?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

How will our community scream anti semitism then?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:54 pm
Ny times, cbs, ABC and other news outlets. Don't know how to upload links

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:55 pm
This what the next 4 years with Biden will look like.
Sorry but we’re just in a bad situation now.

leah233

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:57 pm
De Blasio does not have the authority to close private schools. Municipal departments of education only have control over the public school system. It is the state department of education who can close down private schools.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 7:59 pm
so maybe there's hope - if deblasio will close schools, coumo will want them open...lol

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 8:28 pm
If our schools close...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Punch Punch Punch Punch Punch Punch Help Help Help Help Help
Hashem should help. I neeeeeeeeed my job in a school setting. and no zoom does not work!! our kids need schools. please!!!

Where are our advocates??!!?!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:24 pm
I am fully expecting my kids to be on Zoom by Monday.
I've already told them to bring stuff home tomorrow from their cubbies.

Fave

Post Thu, Nov 12 2020, 9:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so maybe there's hope - if deblasio will close schools, coumo will want them open...lol

I was just gonna say this! Good old politics at its best ....

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 1:20 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
If our schools close...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Punch Punch Punch Punch Punch Punch Help Help Help Help Help
Hashem should help. I neeeeeeeeed my job in a school setting. and no zoom does not work!! our kids need schools. please!!!

Where are our advocates??!!?!

They're busy spreading Covid at chasunos right now.

wiki

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 9:09 pm
Cuomo is already on the record that he thinks De Blasio is wrong to close the schools for 3% citywide test positivity if the schools are doing great in terms of extremely low test positivity within the schools. If the rate goes above 3%, Cuomo wants the city only to close schools where students/faculty have actually been testing positive.

De Blasio cannot close the private schools. Only Cuomo can. And it seems like for now he's totally against it.

We might see the public schools close and the private schools stay open.

Or we might see Cuomo swoop in and try to stop De Blasio from closing the public schools.

cnc

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 9:33 pm
wiki wrote:
Cuomo is already on the record that he thinks De Blasio is wrong to close the schools for 3% citywide test positivity if the schools are doing great in terms of extremely low test positivity within the schools. If the rate goes above 3%, Cuomo wants the city only to close schools where students/faculty have actually been testing positive.

De Blasio cannot close the private schools. Only Cuomo can. And it seems like for now he's totally against it.

We might see the public schools close and the private schools stay open.

Or we might see Cuomo swoop in and try to stop De Blasio from closing the public schools.

Where do you see that? I read that Cuomo will not interfere if De Blasio closes schools.

Kumphort

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 10:07 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/a.....8798/

cuties' mom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 10:07 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/c.....-plan

cnc

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 11:01 pm
Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics