Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Wilbarger protocol on shabbos

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 9:35 am
I was wondering if there is any problem with doing the wilbarger protocal on shabbos. for an adult. supposed to do 10 jumps... afterwards as well. I know ask your LOR. just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. supposed to do it every 2 hours.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 10:03 am
Why? Is it a problem to give your husband a massage on Shabbos? I don't see a problem.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 10:13 am
I’m so curious: what is this?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 10:15 am
Do you mean brushing the body for sensory therapy? I do it on shabbos for DD. Don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.
I don't know what you mean by jumping afterwards.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 13 2020, 10:35 am
The jumping is for proprioceptive input. If it must be jumping then I'd assume your LOR would say it's permitted for therapeutic reasons, but first I would consider whether you could do joint compressions for the same effect.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 7:28 pm
Why would this be a problem?

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 7:31 pm
I would assume you would be allowed to do it as the protocol is effective because you are on the schedule. Skipping a day would probably lead to set backs. I would mention this to a rav if you ask.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 8:16 pm
seeker wrote:
The jumping is for proprioceptive input. If it must be jumping then I'd assume your LOR would say it's permitted for therapeutic reasons, but first I would consider whether you could do joint compressions for the same effect.

I never learned that jumping was a problem on Shabbos. Even the strictest parents I know allow their kids to use the trampoline on Shabbos.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 8:26 pm
As an OT, I am really curious who is doing this with you because there is no evidence base for it. Be careful! I hope you are not being taken advantage of and that it is actually helping you.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 9:23 pm
follow up:
I was feeling weird after brushing my feet so I e-mailed the therapist and she said to hold off on hands and feet until next session. She had told me originally that we would try it but if it doesn't help than it doesn't help. We are also doing therapeutic listening as well as other stuff. Last session was my first session after eval...

I'd be curious as an OT what would you suggest for someone who has trouble dealing with the sensory input from her kids and has a hard time concentrating when there's music on... I also have anxiety and executive skill functioning issues so she is going to be working on other stuff as well.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 9:26 pm
As an OT, are you experienced with treatment for se dysfunction. I don't mean familiar, I mean actually experienced?

Using proprioceptive input is well documented for many years.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
As an OT, I am really curious who is doing this with you because there is no evidence base for it. Be careful! I hope you are not being taken advantage of and that it is actually helping you.

You mean the brushing program has no evidence???
If anecdotal evidence counts I can tell you many stories...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions