Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gefilte fish

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 14 2020, 8:01 pm
Since pesach, the gefilte fish has tasted awful. We've tried different brands but same awful results. We like it to be very sweet. Any tips on what brand to use and how to cook? Can this be corona related- and our taste buds are off? (We don't have it with any other food though.)

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 3:54 am
How much sugar do you put? I use Freund gefilta and put 3/4 cup sugar for a half a roll.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:58 am
silverlining3 wrote:
How much sugar do you put? I use Freund gefilta and put 314 cup sugar for a half a roll.

Wowwwwwwwww how many bags of sugar does that equal? Does it still taste like fish with that much sugar or more like candy?

silverlining3

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 7:07 am
Oh gosh.... Fixed it

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:13 am
If you've tried different brands and it's all the same change since pesach, it could very well be parosmia after covid. What made you ask about a covid connection? Were you sick?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you've tried different brands and it's all the same change since pesach, it could very well be parosmia after covid. What made you ask about a covid connection? Were you sick?

We both had it a few weeks before pesach. We completely lost taste and smell but have since regained it. I guess we'll have to have a guest over to help us figure out if it's us or the fish Smile

happy chick

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 9:59 am
I have a family member who had covid pesach time and still has funny taste/smell to very specific foods. It's possible there are other foods that would taste/smell funny, but they're not things you necessarily eat.

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 10:04 am
Is it common for people to add more sugar to the already sweetened gefilte fish?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 10:12 am
Yes, it probably is corona! My taste was back to normal for a month or two and then some things started tasting and smelling off, including gefilte fish. It is starting to get back to normal again (for the second time)

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 10:19 am
Reality wrote:
Is it common for people to add more sugar to the already sweetened gefilte fish?

Yes I cook it with sugar too. The sauce it cooks in needs the right spices despite the sugar in the fish mix. I use 1.5 cups per roll so it equals the same amount as silverlining.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen