Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Do you cook with olive oil?
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Sun, Nov 15 2020, 4:22 am
moonstone wrote:
I don't like the taste of olive oil, so I use canola oil for most baking and cooking. But I recently started using olive oil when I make roasted potatoes. I can't taste the difference so I'm fine using it there. But I didn't know that olive oil loses its health benefits at high temperatures. The potatoes bake at around 400F, sometimes a bit higher. Is that too high of a temperature for olive oil?

Have you tried those that they designate as "#1" here? They are supposedly lighter in taste.
I use #2 for general cooking and #3 for salads, because I really like the flavor. Have to say though that it was an acquired taste. I didn't always love olive oil.
I don't cook all that much with olive oil though. Only when the taste really adds something to the dish. I use it more as a finishing oil. It is quite expensive here and I only buy good quality olive oil. I don't trust the cheaper brands as there have been 'scandals' in the past regarding their provenance.
My all purpose oil is canola as it's neutral, has a smoke point that is suitable for most of the cooking that I do (I don't deep-fry), and cheap.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking