Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If you DON'T have cleaning help -
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:54 am
Get some stove liners and change them even if you don't have time to scrub it down.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Our stove top gets cleaned once a year, before Pesach. It's gross. I hate it. But neither of us has time to clean it.

If you would do it on a weekly basis it doesn't take more than 5 minutes!
Spray with cleaner, wait 10 minutes while you go do something else (eat breakfast?) Then wipe it up. Use steel wool for hard to scrub stuff!!! Use paper towels to make it more convenient!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:37 am
My kids help intermittently. The full responsibility is on my shoulders. When they are small, we just dealt with mess Friday to have it clean for 15 minutes when I lit candles for shabbos. I had help to do the bathrooms/ kitchen counter and floors once a week.
Laundry was insane. The only thing I can recommend, is that it's ok and we all go through this.
You can minimize what is in your home to make your life easier, ie: toys, clothes, knicknacks, paper, etc. It's not going to be realistic if you have multiple little ones. I prefered an hour to myself outside the house to cleaning at that time.

Once you accept it's ok, and your kids are a teeny bit older (ie: you sleep min 6 hours a night min 6 nights a week), I suggest you read/ listen to (on Hoopla for free) this book:
How to Mange Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana White.

Then watch Minimal Mom and Clutterbug videos on youtube for motivation.

I know you'll hate me, but these 2 videos are the key (only if you're sleeping, though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzY2fPvm48 (What you need to hear to transform your home)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....;t=8s (I can't keep up and my husband doesn't get it)

If you have the money, even help 1x a month in bathrooms/ kitchen alone can make a huge difference.

toysrus

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
My kids are still little (they clean their toys when I make them) my roomba and brava are lifesavers. (Expensive but worth it for me) I have clorax wands in every bathroom. My house is not always perfect but these definitely help.

Sorry off topic but whats the difference between a regular toilet brush and clorax wand?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 8:04 am
I work full time and have one 5 yr old. My husband doesn't work as many hours as I do so he does a good chunk of the cleaning on Friday(mopping, vacuuming, bathrooms). I let things slide during the week. I don't care if my house gets messy or cluttered during the week as long as we get it together for shabbos. I do laundry Monday and Tuesday. Grocery shopping Wednesday. And cook for shabbos+minimal kitchen cleanup Thursday. Friday- I shower and light candles!

And I enjoy my Sundays (shopping, visiting family, chilling)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If you would do it on a weekly basis it doesn't take more than 5 minutes!
Spray with cleaner, wait 10 minutes while you go do something else (eat breakfast?) Then wipe it up. Use steel wool for hard to scrub stuff!!! Use paper towels to make it more convenient!

Of course it would only take 5 minutes a week to clean the stove top! And 10 minutes to wipe down all the cabinets, 15 minutes to clean each bathroom, 20 minutes to pick up all the toys, 2 minutes to wipe the dust off the top of the fridge, 8 minutes to wipe down the windows, etc. If the stove was the only thing I had to do, of course it would get done.

I'm usually satisfied if the house is more or less straightened, and there is no obvious crud.

thegiver

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:43 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Our stove top gets cleaned once a year, before Pesach. It's gross. I hate it. But neither of us has time to clean it.

There's a stove bib for that. Also a nightly wipe which is less than 30 seconds for inbtwn areas. My oven is not as clean tho. Sad

Motzash vacuum and dishes
Sunday declutter, wipe fridge if getting scary
Monday dishwasher and sweep
Tuesday bring down laundry, wash dairy dishes, sweep
Wednesday wash Half laundry, wash meat dishes. Remove sheets. Leave clean ones on bed for kids to put on themselves, sweep
Thursday rest of laundry, toilets (esp when guests coming!), If have time all weekday dishes cleaned, sweep
Friday. Counters scrubbed clean, a quick vacuum of high traffic areas
(Dh or kids mop right before shabbos)

Take out bathroom trashes as they get full (must be lined with plastic bags). Keep wet wipes in bathroom for immediate cleaup.

Laundry is clean in each room but not always put away. I really dislike my habit of trying to put it away a litttle at a time in the mornings because it takes away from the children and also from daavening.. better just clean and in baskets.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 4:43 am
What helps is a vaccuum and mop robot and disinfectant wipes in each bathroom. House is also not as clean as it should be. Kids need to clean up toys daily and get one additional job a week.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:14 am
Short answer, I spent years being mildly, or not so mildly, despondent over my messy home and told myself that as long as everyone's healthy, clean, clothed and fed, that's what counts. This happens to be true but we never really believe it because we're always looking at other people and imagining they do everything better.

Long answer: Gave up on daily bedmaking but had kids change their own linens on Fridays. Relied on very simple no-cook or barely-cook suppers. Had multiple hampers and taught kids to presort their clothes as they were throwing it into the hampers. Did one or two loads a day every day. Started cooking for Shabbos on Sunday or Monday and did a little bit each day. Decluttered constantly. Before chanuka and pesach we'd go through the toys and games and give away some to make room for incoming gifts. Stripped our home of nonessentials.Chose practical over stylish in all things. Taught kids to do housework as young as possible and gave them regular assigned jobs.

Some crazy things I did: bought dried beans on my lunch break and soaked them in a jar in my office . Drained them and carried them home to cook on arrival home. Kept rags and shoe polish in my desk, came to work early and polished my shoes before my shift started. Did a lot of jobs like hemming skirts and pants or writing letters on my lunch break or on the train to/from work.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't think I slept more than 5 or 6 hours a night. (F/T employed outside the home with over an hour commute each way.) And I may make it sound easy but the bald truth is, it was HARD. That's really the bottom line.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:26 am
toysrus wrote:
Sorry off topic but whats the difference between a regular toilet brush and clorax wand?
I first heard about it on imamother. It's great, I threw out my old disgusting brushes. It's a brush where the brush/sponge part on the end is replaceable and has clorox/soap already on it. so you take the wand, clip the sponge on, dip in clean toilet water and then scrub the toilet above the water line. Then when you're done with it you slide a button on the wand and the sponge comes off into the trash can.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:32 am
I don't have cleaning help. (I work outside of the house about 30 hours a week I have a pretty big house. I do laundry twice a week (Sunday and Thursdays). Every night I clean the kitchen counters and sweep. I do the bathrooms twice a week. Once a week , I deep clean it. On Wed after I come home from work, I clean the basement and the living room windows and the furniture. Thurday nights I do bathrooms and deep clean the kitchen, sinks, appliances, On motzei shabbos , I clean all the windows upstairs and all the furniture. Sundays, I sweep all the floors and swiffer and do bathrooms (tubs and shower doors included and wash the floors). My husband washes the floor on the first floor and he does linen and takes out the garbage on garbage days.
I hate cleaning but when I had cleaning help up until March, I never felt the house was really clean so I guess Im better off doing it myself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics