Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need advice from full time working moms
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:55 am
I work full time and have 1 child but I can totally relate to wanting to just collapse by the time I walk in the door. This is what I do:
Make sure I eat and drink enough water during the day at work (this, especially the water, helps me a lot)
Make sure my kid knows I need to take off coat, put down my purse, take off my shaitel and go to the bathroom before any "requests" can be filled. And I do all that right when I walk in.
Then I offer snack time and I sit down with my DC and have a snack.
After that my DC has screen time (playing game on tablet, watching a show) for 30 minutes. I put on a timer so I don't lose track and let it go too long. This way I can have a little time for myself or if I feel up to it, start dinner or clean up the house a bit.
I also make EXTREMELY simple dinners. Either something I throw in the oven to bake for a long time or something that takes a half hr altogether.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:02 pm
I have 4 kids ages 16 months, 4, 6, and 7. I work from 9-4. I get home at around 4:15 and immediately start with dinner. My younger two get dropped off home at around 4:20. I say hello to them but keep making my dinner. My older two get home around 445 and then we all sit down to dinner. Right after dinner is homework. If I don't do homework right away it becomes a night long battle. After homework I clean up the kitchen from supper. At that point its pretty much time for bath and bed. Thankfully dh takes care of bedtime and I finish cleaning the house, prepare everyone's lunches and clothing for the next day and think about tomorrows dinner. Then I collapse on the couch and just stare into space for about an hr cuz im too tired to move.

The only way I am able to keep this up is because I do not work Friday. I guess technically I am not working full time but 9-4 seems like a very full day Monday-Thursday! Friday its just me and my baby home and those three hours of me time from 9-12 is how my sanity remains intact!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:09 pm
Bh full time working Mom of 5 year old and infant. I work 8-4 but with daycare/school pickups we leave 6:45amb and get home 5:15ish. My best advice and the one I incorporated when I went back to work with #1 is that I don’t cook dinner the night of. If I did it would be a disaster; Me stressed and rushing and missing out on the very very few hours of wake time they have in the evening. I cook primarily on Sunday (when hub is available to be lead, ideally during nap time), Saturday nights now that it’s winter, or the night before after bedtime. The only thing I’d do the night of is pop things in oven to reheat, or slice up some fresh veggies. Setting the table Is quick, clearing is less so, but I don’t ever cook when I get home.

You can do this. Momma!

dragoneye126

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 12:33 pm
Previous posters have given lots of good advice (that I wish I had gotten when I was in your position a few years ago)! My contribution is this: pack a substantial snack or light dinner to eat just before you leave work. You get to have 5 min of "me time" just before the rush, and having something in your stomach when you get home will take the edge off and give you energy to make it through bedtime.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics