Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chemdas, bnos yehudis...seminary
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:04 pm
Hi! Please help me find a place for my oldest daughter, she's in 12th now.
Those were the 2 seminaries that I heard she would be a good match for.
Tell me everything you know about those or feel free to suggest some other ones!
I personally don't know anything about seminaries!
She's brilliant, would love challenging and stimulating classes but not looking to be bombed with homework! She's serious and sociable! (She has lots of friends but she's more quiet and reserved!) Was bored thru most of her school years so it's really important to find a good seminary! Help

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 1:24 pm
What is her school advising her to do. The seminary advisor in her hs usually knows the ins and outs of the seminaries and where would be the best fit.
Where do you live? A top student in a small oot school is different then an academic in town school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 3:37 pm
I have an appointment to speak to person in charge in a few days! That's why I'm asking now!
She goes to bais kaila in Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:29 pm
Bump
Anyone knows anything about those seminaries???

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 8:53 pm
I have a twelfth grader too. Chemdas would likely work, based on what you're describing. Bnos Yehudis, I believe, is built on the gatshead model.

Are you considering tehillas? What about bnos. Batsheva? Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I have a twelfth grader too. Chemdas would likely work, based on what you're describing. Bnos Yehudis, I believe, is built on the gatshead model.

Are you considering tehillas? What about bnos. Batsheva? Very Happy

Would love to hear more about those 2! Never heard of them. I'm really clueless but tryingto find out!
How are the same/different than chemdas?
Would you know if bnos yehudis is the same level as chemdas?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:41 pm
Bnos yehudis has some chasidish girls, and I don’t think chemdas does as much .
Bnos Yehudis attracts the kind of girl that is very sincere and loves to learn but they are unique in that they don’t give back test marks . So the focus is not on your grades. I also know that they are very strict with the rules for ex many shabbosim must be spent in seminary as apposed to going out every week .

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:31 pm
Bono’s sara might be a good fit. Very out of town, so super nice girls. Academic and the girls love the teachers there.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:44 pm
bnos yehudis is a 1 yr program very similar to gateshead - where shabbos and yom tov is in sem and the girls enjoy it very much. its only in its 2nd yr - talk to someone who went there. I know a few. mixed crowd but mostly yeshivish. learningwise - like gateshead, meant for girls who enjoy learning and growing

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:15 am
If Bnos Yehudis has succeeded in modelling themselves after Gateshead, then as a Gateshead alumnus I highly recommend. I really think there is a lot to gain from their unique approach, especially as it seems your daughter will appreciate a solid, intellectual-based and hashkafa-focused education

dilego

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 11:56 am
Bnos yehudis was opened as a 1 year option for girls who want the gateshead derech and hashkafa but, in eretz yisroel and 1 year as opposed to 3 years.rebetzin ben shalom is rabbi mordechai miller oh s daughter and rabbi todrus miller her brother. I think one of the condirions to teach there was being a geateshead alumnea and the lessons are based on the notes from sem.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:07 pm
I have a niece who went to Chemdas. Based on your description of your DD, I think it would fit in terms of how you describe your DD. However, I would mention that I think the crowd there is pretty yeshivish, and I never heard of girls going there from BK (I have two DD's who graduated from BK fairly recently.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:19 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a niece who went to Chemdas. Based on your description of your DD, I think it would fit in terms of how you describe your DD. However, I would mention that I think the crowd there is pretty yeshivish, and I never heard of girls going there from BK (I have two DD's who graduated from BK fairly recently.)

Thanx.
My daughter is super yeshivish so no worry.
But does that mean they wouldn't accept her because she's in BK?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:20 pm
Does anyone know how chemdas and bnos yehudis differ?
Crowd? Academic level?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanx.
My daughter is super yeshivish so no worry.
But does that mean they wouldn't accept her because she's in BK?

No, I doubt that's a problem.

My girls say that most girls from BK get into at least one of their choices. Very often their first choice. Because the competition is less for each place (like, you don't have the whole class dying to go to one specific seminary) and they also really work at it.

So be careful where you apply, though. Because they will try to get you into one of your choices. You don't want that to be somewhere you don't want to send.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know how chemdas and bnos yehudis differ?
Crowd? Academic level?

So my niece who went to Chemdas is very bright B"AH but she went to an intense, high-pressure academic high school. For this reason, she felt she wanted a good seminary, but not super-intense (she'd had enough). So Chemdas was perfect for her, as it's for smart girls, great classes, etc...but not super-pressure.

It's pretty yeshivish crowd, like I said. She's pretty yeshivish, and her SIL (niece is married now) also went, and they are super-yeshivish.

I don't know much about Bnos Yehudis as it's much newer. I know a girl in DD's class went - really nice, smart, refined but at same time spunky and fun BK girl. I think her mother had gone to Gateshead (I could be wrong).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:23 pm
Chayalle wrote:
No, I doubt that's a problem.

My girls say that most girls from BK get into at least one of their choices. Very often their first choice. Because the competition is less for each place (like, you don't have the whole class dying to go to one specific seminary) and they also really work at it.

So be careful where you apply, though. Because they will try to get you into one of your choices. You don't want that to be somewhere you don't want to send.

Thank you so much! It sounds like a good choice. And thanks for the warning!Wink
Do you know about bnos sara that someone mentionned? Or tehillas?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much! It sounds like a good choice. And thanks for the warning!Wink
Do you know about bnos sara that someone mentionned? Or tehillas?

My sister went to Bnos Sara. I would say it's super-academic, has a mix of types (girls I know who went there are solid, frum, some yeshivish, some not at all, and everything in between), all very bright, has an OOT presence but also in-town girls. Very stimulating program.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:48 pm
From experience, Chemdas is a great option for a girl who is really looking to learn and grow. The crowd is more yeshivish, and the academics aren't supposed to be another year of high school. Every program, class, test, assignment, paper is planned with deliberation. They are not looking to bombard the girls with information to memorize or hundred page papers to write. There tends to be more classes and less papers. Many of the girls are very academic just most weren't looking to spend their year in seminary cramming and studying. For comparison's sake, Bnos Batsheva seems to be a bit less academic with less pressure for tests/papers and from the students in general, less academia. Tehilas is more academic in the way that they give a lot of tests/papers and focus on a lot of knowledge and information etc. Bnos Sarah and BJJ are great options for girls who would like to really study in depth on their own and delve into the books. May you have a lot of clarity in this process!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 11:22 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
From experience, Chemdas is a great option for a girl who is really looking to learn and grow. The crowd is more yeshivish, and the academics aren't supposed to be another year of high school. Every program, class, test, assignment, paper is planned with deliberation. They are not looking to bombard the girls with information to memorize or hundred page papers to write. There tends to be more classes and less papers. Many of the girls are very academic just most weren't looking to spend their year in seminary cramming and studying. For comparison's sake, Bnos Batsheva seems to be a bit less academic with less pressure for tests/papers and from the students in general, less academia. Tehilas is more academic in the way that they give a lot of tests/papers and focus on a lot of knowledge and information etc. Bnos Sarah and BJJ are great options for girls who would like to really study in depth on their own and delve into the books. May you have a lot of clarity in this process!

Ty for taking the time to write this all down!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics