Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Autumn Curried Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 4:38 pm
This was a nice classic soup.

Stating the obvious, one can either use margarine or vice versa use veggie stock for the soup. I now use Country Crock plant butter as a dairy butter substitute.

I made a double batch and froze it. As long as I am making soup, I make enough for leftovers.

And immersion blender is essential for any kitchen - at least in my opinion Smile

Autumn Curried Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup

Excerpt From: Jennifer Segal - Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook

The nice thing is that the sweet potatoes add body to the soup, making it luxuriously silky, without even the slightest bit of guilt-inducing heavy cream. Now, I have to admit that I’m not one of those people who look forward to fall: my pessimistic side knows all too well that winter is looming. But the thought of comfort food and cozy clothes does make it more bearable. So go ahead and think of this soup as that soft sweater you can’t wait to put on at the first sign of a chill.

Serves 8

4 Tbsp [55 g] unsalted butter
2 cups [280 g] chopped yellow onions
1 Tbsp curry powder, plus a bit more for serving (optional)
1 lb [455 g] carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-in [2.5-cm] pieces
11/2 lb [680 g] sweet potatoes (about 2 small), peeled and chopped into 1-in [2.5-cm] pieces
8 cups [2 L] low-sodium chicken broth
13/4 tsp salt
1 tart yet sweet apple (such as Honeycrisp or Fuji), peeled, cored, and chopped
2 Tbsp honey
Freshly ground black pepper

1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Do not brown. Add the curry powder and cook a minute more.

2. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the apple and honey. Using a handheld immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and use a blender to purée in batches. Be sure to remove the center knob on the blender top and cover with a dish towel to avoid splatters.) Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more honey, if necessary. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with more curry powder, if desired.

MAKE AHEAD: This soup will keep nicely in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.

sourcing savvy

It’s common practice in the United States to use the words “sweet potato” and “yam” interchangeably. This is confusing since yams aren’t sweet potatoes at all, but rather, thick white tubers with dark brown skins. Chances are you won’t find real yams at the supermarket, so if you see “yams,” you’re probably looking at sweet potatoes.

pro tip

Soups often thicken after they’ve sat for a while. The trick is to add a bit of water or broth while reheating—this will help to thin the soup back out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics