Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to keep food hot for lunch

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 6:55 pm
Ds switched schools this year and his school doesnt have hot lunches. He really misses it and its been a challenge finding stuff for him to take. Does anyone have any way to keep stuff hot. (pizza, cheese sandwiches, etc) I have thermoses but he doesnt want to take stuff in them.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:16 pm
He might have to just get used to having a cold lunch. I've seen a few insulated lunch boxes, but they are all better at keeping food cold rather than hot. They keep food hot for two or three hours, which wouldn't really help him.

Keeping food hot for a long time means it tends to go soggy, and would be an invitation to bacterial growth.

Maybe he would be ok with a thermos of soup.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 7:50 pm
I use an insulated bag. Heat it up by putting a covered cup of boiling water inside and closing it up. At the last minute, remove the cup of water, put in a hot whatever, heated in an aluminum pan and double wrapped with heavy duty foil. You can also by some hand warmers, and activate one and toss it in. Maybe experiment once with a food he would want to take, like on day when you can set it up in the afternoon and let him check it out when he gets home from yeshiva. This does work.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 8:38 pm
Something like this keeps food hot for a number of hours. Easily used for soups, stews, pasta dishes, rice, eggs, chicken/meat/potato leftovers from dinner, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermos.....r=8-5
Don't use it for crispy foods like pizza, French fries or breaded nuggets, which will just be soggy from the trapped steam.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children