Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What food do your kids eat after school
Previous  1  2

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:33 pm
DREAMING wrote:
What’s a plain snack

Pop corn, pretzels, flutes, potato chips, corn pops, rice cake.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:34 pm
So supper right away doesnt work,
A. They dont come home starved, just in the mood of a nosh..
B. They come home in shifts, so its not interesting to eat by themselves.

My husband comes home 8:30. My first bus is home 2:40. My bochurim come home @8:00.
I serve suppper 6:30, which is 2 hrs after their snack, but @8:00 they want something else.
When they were younger, I got away with supper and fruit. But theyre growing up. And if my older kids or husband or me (nursing mom) is eating something else, they want.

They eat supper nicely, but not tons. How much chicken and rice can u eat? Potatoes doesnt go well here. And soup majority dont like. ...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:44 pm
My kids come home at different times. They will eat cereal and milk ( the early ones), the middle ones and late ones will eat supper right away. They’ll eat fruits, vegetables, or some mezonos from the panty if they’re hungry later on. I’m a simple mom- no smoothies or salad on a daily basis.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My husband comes home 8:30. My first bus is home 2:40. My bochurim come home @8:00.
I serve suppper 6:30, which is 2 hrs after their snack, but @8:00 they want something else.
When they were younger, I got away with supper and fruit. But theyre growing up. And if my older kids or husband or me (nursing mom) is eating something else, they want.

They eat supper nicely, but not tons. How much chicken and rice can u eat? Potatoes doesnt go well here. And soup majority dont like. ...

Why is it always chicken and rice? I have a HUGE variety of meals in my rotation. Like I sometimes make recipe as rarely as once a year, that’s how many we have. With the cookbooks and blogs there are so many resources out there beyond chicken and rice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 11:21 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Why is it always chicken and rice? I have a HUGE variety of meals in my rotation. Like I sometimes make recipe as rarely as once a year, that’s how many we have. With the cookbooks and blogs there are so many resources out there beyond chicken and rice

Trust me, I cook a huge variety.
Im just giving an example. My kids dont LOVE chicken, beef, or franks...so theyll have 2 pcs, but thats about it.
I guess we have a sweet tooth..

lucky14

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 11:27 pm
I'm curious if this is working for you why are you asking us if we think this is OK or not? It sounds like your kids are eating enough and you are ok with what they are eating (you're baking all of those sweets I assume you wouldn't if you didn't want your family eating that kind of stuff).

My kids are younger but we have a snack when school is over. Usually a greek frozen yogurt bar, cookies or crackers. Sometimes apple chips or rice cakes or those wheat puff snacks. I always serve milk with snack. We have dinner around 5:30 (6ish when it gets dark later). That's the last thing they eat for the night. I'm sure older kids would probably go to sleep later though and would have another snack before bed.

Motherhood

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A. So then switch and serve fruits first. If they don’t come home starved and they won’t eat supper first, they shouldn’t get a nosh p, either. They can eat fruits or soup until supper time.
B. I sit down by the table when my kids eat so they don’t feel like they’re missing out on anything while they’re eating

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:12 am
lucky14 wrote:
I'm curious if this is working for you why are you asking us if we think this is OK or not? It sounds like your kids are eating enough and you are ok with what they are eating (you're baking all of those sweets I assume you wouldn't if you didn't want your family eating that kind of stuff).

My kids are younger but we have a snack when school is over. Usually a greek frozen yogurt bar, cookies or crackers. Sometimes apple chips or rice cakes or those wheat puff snacks. I always serve milk with snack. We have dinner around 5:30 (6ish when it gets dark later). That's the last thing they eat for the night. I'm sure older kids would probably go to sleep later though and would have another snack before bed.

I bake as I'd rather give healthier than bought stuff. Less sugar, oil - not marg, whole wheat...

My kids are happy when theres "good" stuff to eat. If I only have cereal and milk and apples left in the house, they say they are hungry. They wont eat that.
Or cheerios/corn flakes..

Yogurt, cookies, rice cakes, yes. And always variety.
I just feel that Im spending tons of food. Every time something runs out, I get more. And older kids def eat a lot more. (I also prepare them lunches and snacks for the day...)

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 6:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I bake as I'd rather give healthier than bought stuff. Less sugar, oil - not marg, whole wheat...

My kids are happy when theres "good" stuff to eat. If I only have cereal and milk and apples left in the house, they say they are hungry. They wont eat that.

Then they're not hungry. They want to eat. The two are not always the same.

My mother always made a point of buying the biscuits that no one liked. There was always a supply in the cupboard, and anyone who was hungry was welcome to take - but somehow they lasted a very long time!

In our house the kitchen was closed after supper. Fruit, nuts, and the aforementioned biscuits were there if anyone wanted, but there was no culture of eating after supper - which happened at around 7:00 on a weeknight.

I remember once staying with a friend for a winter shabbos. After the meal everyone was playing games and talking for a couple of hours, then before bed everyone, including the parents, trouped into the kitchen for a light meal/ before bed snack. I was quite startled at such an arrangement, which to them was absolutely normal.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:37 am
Zehava wrote:
Cookie/cake with milk. Then as part of dinner they get another cookie/cake. After dinner it’s fruits only. Or more dinner. Usually they’re fine by then and busy with other things.

I am horrified by how much cookies and cake!
Are you the type that thinks chocolate leben is a healthy breakfast?
Way too much sugar and carbs.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:48 am
The best snack I cld give to my kids if I do have a supply in the freezer- wld be sugar free muffins. I’ve made a variety found with recipes online and the kids r eager to eat them with milk and I feel no guilt at all since no sugar in it. Also my son loves plain greek yogurt with all the works- raisins granola ground flax seeds choc chips. What about hummus and pretzels?
And I agree about soups I love serving soups usually blended or a minestrone and my kids who won’t eat vegs for fun will eat a whole bowl.

DREAMING

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:15 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Pop corn, pretzels, flutes, potato chips, corn pops, rice cake.

Are those what your kids typically take to school for snack?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:20 am
DREAMING wrote:
Are those what your kids typically take to school for snack?

They get snack and fruit in school. They take one snack for the bus ride home. They aren't big snack eaters and usually opt for fruit, applesauce, yogurt, or granola bar when they get home but sometimes they're in the mood of a snack & this is what they have.

DREAMING

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:28 am
My kids also get snack in school but often want something when they come anyway. I offer fruit which is sometimes accepted but they want snack or cookies anyway.
My kids learn to eat snacks in school - they don’t request it really until they r school age. Same with juice
Just curious do you have other snacks too ( bbq fries, cartwheels or whatever)

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:30 am
DREAMING wrote:
My kids also get snack in school but often want something when they come anyway. I offer fruit which is sometimes accepted but they want snack or cookies anyway.
My kids learn to eat snacks in school - they don’t request it really until they r school age. Same with juice
Just curious do you have other snacks too ( bbq fries, cartwheels or whatever)

I have bbq snacks for shabbos or rosh chodesh.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics