Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you like to have a dislike button?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Would you likely like a dislike option?
I like a dislike option  
 52%  [ 89 ]
I dislike a dislike option  
 37%  [ 64 ]
Like what the ??? Who cares?  
 9%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 169

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 6:31 am
No, it’s bullying!

What is wrong with you people?!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:33 am
imasinger wrote:
No, thank you.

Leave me to my fantasies that every hug is out of caring.

Seriously, I think if a post gets a bunch of dislikes, it will make a person feel bad.

'
Yes. Onaas devarim.
And re a disagree button: I've liked posts even without endorsing every word, provided I don't think the rest is wrong. But I wouldn't use a disagree button unless I disagreed with every word. Actually, I would never use the button. If I really disagreed, I'd participate in the thread.
I hope that this never takes off. If it would, I probably wouldn't stick around. If it would take off, chalilah, NO ONE should be allowed to use it without following up with a cogent post on that thread.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I'm not a programmer, but I know that there are similar forums that have public like/dislike, so it's not impossible.

Wouldn't that get unwieldy?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:38 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Disagree button is better than dislike.

Minimally better. Like means agree. But I think a disagreer should explain why she disagrees.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:38 am
Elfrida wrote:
I don't feel this site should actively promote a situation where we are making people feel bad. This isn't Facebook or Instagram. This is a site for frum Jewish women. Even when posting annonymously, we need to be aware of halachas about bein adam l'chaveiro, and halvanat panim. Anyone who disagrees with a post is at liberty to post and say so, explaining their reasons. This is a bit more articulate, and when posting most people think about what they are saying, and the statements can be understood or argued. An invitation to make people feel bad at the click of a button would not help or improve anything.

There are posters who abuse the hugs button, but unfortunately any button that is used to replace it will also end up being abused. Some people are like that, but that doesn't mean that the whole website needs to succumb to their mentaility.

I'm posting as I go. This really says what I want to say. I'd delete my previous posts if I could but I think all I can do at this point is delete the words, not the whole post, so I'll let them stand.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 7:40 am
sequoia wrote:
No, it’s bullying!

See my previous post. You said what I wanted to say too, and even more succinctly.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Wouldn't that get unwieldy?

No, it doesn't on those forums.

4g01o

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:36 am
Yes I've thought that we should have one for a while. The hug button gets confusing as it tends to have 2 meanings on here! Or more 😄

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:36 am
watergirl wrote:
Can we please let Yael run her site the way she wants? If you have a suggestion, why not just pm her? No disrespect to Extra Credit, but you have been here for a very short time. Yael has been at this for a very, very long time.

Oh, this is not meant to be a suggestion or message to Yael at all. Just an “interesting discussion” for discussion sake. It’s a spin off of all passive aggressive hug threads we had running yesterday. Someone suggested I make a poll when we discussed a dislike button in place of PA hugs.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:40 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Not that I have the tools to create a button like that, but would you like that? Would solve the passive aggressive hug issue.
This way we have Like, Hug, or Dislike (and kindly explain why).

Where did you come from? You suddenly appear all over imamother this past year! Good idea to have dislike...

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:40 am
sequoia wrote:
No, it’s bullying!

This reply is to PF too.
Of course disliking and disagreeing is a negative thing to do and can invite bullying.
We were discussing which would be the lesser of the two evils. Passive aggressive hug or a dislike?
Obviously, the best choice would be neither!!
(It’s a spin off of a few threads on this subject that were running yesterday.)

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:41 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Where did you come from? You suddenly appear all over imamother this past year! Good idea to have dislike...

From Mars!
My flight back has been cancelled due to covid. So I’m stuck here for now.

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:44 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
This reply is to PF too.
Of course disliking and disagreeing is a negative thing to do and can invite bullying.
We were discussing which would be the lesser of the two evils. Passive aggressive hug or a dislike?
Obviously, the best choice would be neither!!
(It’s a spin off of a few threads on this subject that were running yesterday.)

I don't think disagreeing is bullying. We have to be allowed to disagree with people You're not going to get along with everybody you meet in life. people complain when certain threads or discussions become an echo chamber. How is disagreeing any better.

I do maybe agree that it has potential for misuse. And that obviously it's always better to explain why you disagree instead of just saying disagree. But I don't think it's bullying to say that you disagree.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:48 am
singleagain wrote:
I don't think disagreeing is bullying. We have to be allowed to disagree with people You're not going to get along with everybody you meet in life. people complain when certain threads or discussions become an echo chamber. How is disagreeing any better.

I do maybe agree that it has potential for misuse. And that obviously it's always better to explain why you disagree instead of just saying disagree. But I don't think it's bullying to say that you disagree.

One can always disagree by replying. Just like I did right now Wink

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:49 am
mocha wrote:
One can always disagree by replying. Just like I did right now Wink

True I'm not necessarily arguing for the disagree button or not personally at first I thought it was a good idea but I see it has potential to be misused and I'm having second thoughts.

I just felt the need to disagree with the sentiment that disagreeing equals bullying.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:50 am
singleagain wrote:

I agree but I can see it being abused and misused here.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:51 am
ExtraCredit wrote:

I agree. Unfortunately anything for good has the potential to be misused and abused.

number

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:52 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
The hug button's already misused though, at least it would stop the hug button from getting hijacked.

But the ideal would be that hugs are public so you can pm the hugger if you're confused. Lots of other forums have that feature.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 10:57 am
singleagain wrote:
True I'm not necessarily arguing for the disagree button or not personally at first I thought it was a good idea but I see it has potential to be misused and I'm having second thoughts.

I just felt the need to disagree with the sentiment that disagreeing equals bullying.

This.
Sometimes we can "partially" disagree, with a click of a button we wouldn't know unless explained in a post.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 11:01 am
number wrote:
The hug button's already misused though, at least it would stop the hug button from getting hijacked.

But the ideal would be that hugs are public so you can pm the hugger if you're confused. Lots of other forums have that feature.

That would solve the issue. Do you want to suggest it to Yael? I’m sure others already did. It’s probably not easy to add that feature.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics