Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Masbia- why donate if most of their customers are not Jews?
Previous  1  2  3

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:19 pm
I read about this organization here and it sounds amazing to me, the fact that it’s open to Jews and non Jews alike and is able to help different people in different ways according to their needs. That’s just heat warming. But then again, I don’t see myself donating to them, because עניי עירך קודמים, and I don’t live in NY and prefer to help my local poor people, so I guess I understand OP.
If you have a limited tzedaka budget, I can see how you’d be very discerning and davka choose an organization that specifically helps Jews. But if you’re going to donate to several different causes and live in the area, it certainly seems like a very worthy cause.
It is not racist to want to first help your brethren who may have no one else to help them.
P.S.
Is Masbia in NY connected to Masbia in Israel? We also have a soup kitchen here that is called Masbia.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:13 pm
As someone who spent a few months getting my only food each day from Masbia, I have to say that there are plenty of Jewish and frum people who only have access to food from them. At the time, I was a homeless single girl (yes FFB, no not OTD, you may even know me although you probably don't know I was homeless). I had no access to special programs that are run for families, divorcees, yeshivaleit... I had been shunned by a community after escaping a horrible situation and was trying to build myself back together. I was turned down by many other organizations because I did not have a rav who could vouch for me at the time.

My only option was to go into Masbia and eat what was served. On days that I ended work late or my train was delayed, there was no food. And even though people could clearly see I was frum, and even when I asked staff if there were any other options, no one had other ideas.

I hope no one else has to ever suffer in this way, bit you should know that the only way I kept kosher during those months is because of Masbia, and even then I was always hungry. Please, continue to support food for people in anyway possible.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Maybe they had extra and didn't want to throw them out???

I know that a couple of weeks ago one of the kosher pantries had a ton of extra perishables at the end of the day and announced it on FB to the whole community, that they would be leaving boxes outside the storefront at the end of the day.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:45 pm
As someone closely affiliated, may you never know of the heimish elderly who can't shop or cook.
Of the family whose stove won't turn on because their utilities were shut,
of the disadvantaged who can't work & no, food stamps will not serve them a hot nourishing meal.
Of the young adults who have been thrown out by their families.
Of the divorcees or singles who are too proud/ashamed to be invite themselves to friends...
Of the Shabbos & Yo"t seudas experience that no takeout place can deliver. And the pesach sedarim. And the sukkah.
Of the raw food packages that are discreetly arranged for you friends and neighbors so that they cook for their families. Dignified people whose paychecks have been recently slashed, yet they don't qualify for foodstamps.
Govt funding is but a small fraction of that. And if some nonjews benefit from this as well, how can we take the chance that a yid will go hungry??

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
As someone who spent a few months getting my only food each day from Masbia, I have to say that there are plenty of Jewish and frum people who only have access to food from them. At the time, I was a homeless single girl (yes FFB, no not OTD, you may even know me although you probably don't know I was homeless). I had no access to special programs that are run for families, divorcees, yeshivaleit... I had been shunned by a community after escaping a horrible situation and was trying to build myself back together. I was turned down by many other organizations because I did not have a rav who could vouch for me at the time.

My only option was to go into Masbia and eat what was served. On days that I ended work late or my train was delayed, there was no food. And even though people could clearly see I was frum, and even when I asked staff if there were any other options, no one had other ideas.

I hope no one else has to ever suffer in this way, bit you should know that the only way I kept kosher during those months is because of Masbia, and even then I was always hungry. Please, continue to support food for people in anyway possible.

Hug
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics