Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Do you work from home? I want to hear about your job!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 11:59 am
What do you do? What kind of degree/training/experience was required? How much does it earn? Anything you wish you'd known before you started?

Just want to get an idea of what's out there... I'm a teacher but not sure how much longer I can handle teaching in the current situation...

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:04 pm
It’s an all in one job. There were some prerequisites, but I did not need a college degree for it actually.
Training pretty much happened on the job.
The pay scale is pretty flexible- it’s generally 60m/ per hour. but sometimes we go on overtime so it evens out with the lazy moments and has some really great benefits perks.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:13 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
It’s an all in one job. There were some prerequisites, but I did not need a college degree for it actually.
Training pretty much happened on the job.
The pay scale is pretty flexible- it’s generally 60m/ per hour. but sometimes we go on overtime so it evens out with the lazy moments and has some really great benefits perks.

LOL
Is your position called “Mothering”?

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:18 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
LOL
Is your position called “Mothering”?

I guess we’re in the same line Laugh

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:21 pm
I’m sorry op if I mislead you... I thought my profession would be clear from my avatar...

Einikel

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:22 pm
You look lie a professional smeller in your avatar

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:26 pm
I work online teaching chinese kids to speak english.
I needed a TEFL certificate which is very easy to find online. And lots of companies prefer a BA.
Pay is around 20 dollars an hour.
It's a hilarious job!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I needed a TEFL certificate which is very easy to find online. And lots of companies prefer a BA.
It's a hilarious job!

Always wondered about this.

Is it hard? As in for someone who isn’t a born teacher is it an impossible option?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 2:05 pm
Software engineer.
1 yr maalot degree plus lots of Cleps
Pays is 90k approx for 32 hr week but hard to find. (I’m terrified of losing my current job). I have years of experience. Starting is more like 50-60k.
You can also take coding courses and with experience make the same.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
It's a hilarious job!

Thanks! Is this VIPKid? I've heard of that but the hours aren't great for my time zone and at the moment I'm dealing with some physical/mental health stuff that's kind of sapping my patience, so not sure something still involving teaching would be right for me...

Curious though what's hilarious about it? Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 3:49 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Software engineer.
1 yr maalot degree plus lots of Cleps
Pays is 90k approx for 32 hr week but hard to find. (I’m terrified of losing my current job). I have years of experience. Starting is more like 50-60k.
You can also take coding courses and with experience make the same.

Hmmm interesting!! That's definitely the highest paying/least hours one I've seen so far. Do you have to be a math person?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmmm interesting!! That's definitely the highest paying/least hours one I've seen so far. Do you have to be a math person?

I might not. But I do like puzzles. It’s lots of logic.
You can look at coding boot camp sites for ideas

amf

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:16 pm
I work in copywriting/marketing. I have a BA in a general field, but what is much more important for prospective clients/bosses is my portfolio of work and my experience. I learned almost everything on the job or self-study (books, articles, etc.), but I do have G-dgiven skills that would be much, much more difficult to succeed in this field without. I've worked both freelance from home and salaried in an office.
I love what I do! The perks are great (especially when the client is, say, a chocolate store) and the pay is comfortable. I can also always choose to accept fewer clients, and earn less, but have more free time.

Ha, free time, who are we kidding Rolling Laughter

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:25 pm
amf wrote:
I work in copywriting/marketing. I have a BA in a general field, but what is much more important for prospective clients/bosses is my portfolio of work and my experience. I learned almost everything on the job or self-study (books, articles, etc.), but I do have G-dgiven skills that would be much, much more difficult to succeed in this field without. I've worked both freelance from home and salaried in an office.
I love what I do! The perks are great (especially when the client is, say, a chocolate store) and the pay is comfortable. I can also always choose to accept fewer clients, and earn less, but have more free time.

Ha, free time, who are we kidding Rolling Laughter

Ya know copywriting has been on my mind as a possible career for like 10 years. Any tips for getting started?

amf

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:36 pm
Do you like to think creatively? Can you express yourself in words well?
There are so many different specializations and ways to build a niche. Think about what you enjoy and start from there. Look around online and read as much as you can. Wrote spec work- ads or materials that you weren't paid to do but can use to build a portfolio. Reach out to brands you like, especially smaller ones, and offer your services for free

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:17 am
amf wrote:
Do you like to think creatively? Can you express yourself in words well?
There are so many different specializations and ways to build a niche. Think about what you enjoy and start from there. Look around online and read as much as you can. Wrote spec work- ads or materials that you weren't paid to do but can use to build a portfolio. Reach out to brands you like, especially smaller ones, and offer your services for free

Thank you! It sounds like you work for yourself? Any chance of working for a company in this field?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:30 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]Thanks! Is this VIPKid? I've heard of that but the hours aren't great for my time zone and at the moment I'm dealing with some physical/mental health stuff that's kind of sapping my patience, so not sure something still involving teaching would be right for me...

Curious though what's hilarious about it? Smile[/quotefrom
Dont go into VIP kids.
I know two ladies who do it.
The company recently overhired, and you can hardly get any eork. And it is not $20/hour. (Not hilarious either Wink

DallasIma

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:31 am
I work as a proofreader/copy editor for the local Jewish newspaper. Never had any special training in that (my college degree is in an unrelated field and I never used it because I took the mommy track right after I got that degree) but I have a natural talent for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It was Hashgacha Pratit how I got that job; I had been working for another Jewish company and then they had a reduction in force and my job was eliminated. So I contacted the newspaper to ask if they knew of any open positions, and they said THEY had an open position. At that time I became an assistant editor, but then I scaled back several years later (in fact I retired and then un-retired) and became just a proofreader and copy editor, which is a much less demanding job. Usually I work a few hours one or two days each week. Since March I've been working from home.

ETA: My kids are long grown and out of the house, and we have an empty nest.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Always wondered about this.

Is it hard? As in for someone who isn’t a born teacher is it an impossible option?

So I dont work for vipkid. There are many companies.
Yes, now with covid and so many unemployed, they have loads of teachers and not such a demand from the students.
Yes, pay is around 20 an hour. The compsay I work for, the more hours you work, the more bonuses.
And, it's really funny bec the kids dont really know english and so you have to teach them stuff with toys and hand gestures and it's also interesting to get a real glimpse into such a diff culture.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:44 am
DallasIma wrote:
I work as a proofreader/copy editor for the local Jewish newspaper. Never had any special training in that (my college degree is in an unrelated field and I never used it because I took the mommy track right after I got that degree) but I have a natural talent for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It was Hashgacha Pratit how I got that job; I had been working for another Jewish company and then they had a reduction in force and my job was eliminated. So I contacted the newspaper to ask if they knew of any open positions, and they said THEY had an open position. At that time I became an assistant editor, but then I scaled back several years later (in fact I retired and then un-retired) and became just a proofreader and copy editor, which is a much less demanding job. Usually I work a few hours one or two days each week. Since March I've been working from home.

ETA: My kids are long grown and out of the house, and we have an empty nest.

Oooooh I actually REALLY WISH I could do something like that!! I did do a training course in proofreading and editing a while ago but nothing ever came of it...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers