Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girls name Emunah

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:21 pm
What do you think of the name Emunah. My husband and I are typical charedi americans living in Israel. I don't know many people with the name and it's a bit of the box. For some reason I feel very connected to the name and the meaning. Is the name too different?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:30 pm
I know quite a few Emunahs. Mostly among the Dati Leumi community, but its beginning to be more common among chareidim as well.

Just be prepared for her to abbreviated it to Noony when she is older. A horrible but common abbreviation of a beautiful name.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:37 pm
My Emunah is nicknamed Emmy. Kneina Hara she’s an amazing girl.

yonabets

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:37 pm
In France it's a (beautiful )and common name.
In Israel ,in the chachedi World , it isn't mekubal at all . Specially not among the אשכנזים..

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My Emunah is nicknamed Emmy. Kneina Hara she’s an amazing girl.

I love the nickname Emmy! 💕

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:05 pm
My daughter has one in her class. (BY)
I haven’t met many others.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:37 pm
Emunah Braverman is a well-known advice columnist and blogger on Aish.com.

salt

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:22 am
It's not common in charedi circles, but not crazy.
It's original, but not so original that no one's heard of it. I think that's a great balance!

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:28 am
I love it. It would be very rare and unheard of in Chareidi circles. If you live in a more American area than it would be more acceptable.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:46 am
Elfrida wrote:

Just be prepared for her to abbreviated it to Noony when she is older. A horrible but common abbreviation of a beautiful name.

I know a pair of twins named Hodaya and Emuna. They call themselves Hoddy and Emü. Theres not much you can do about what children choose to call themselves.

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 3:32 am
Thank you everyone for your responses.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 4:54 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I know a pair of twins named Hodaya and Emuna. They call themselves Hoddy and Emü. Theres not much you can do about what children choose to call themselves.

That's funny, my daughter is emuna hodaya

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:05 am
salt wrote:
It's not common in charedi circles, but not crazy.
It's original, but not so original that no one's heard of it. I think that's a great balance!

I agree. I'm DL and American and live in Israel. I've known two Emuna's, both little girls in Israel, one DL with American parents, and the other Charedi (Ashkenazi, Heimish) with American parents.

I'd go for it!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:10 am
I don't like it for a name. I love Tehila! Maybe it's because I don't know any Emuna's. We had a menucha in our class and it kind of reminds me a but of that. Ultimately up to you and your dh though!

salt

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:04 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I don't like it for a name. I love Tehila! Maybe it's because I don't know any Emuna's. We had a menucha in our class and it kind of reminds me a but of that. Ultimately up to you and your dh though!

I think Emunah has a nicer ring than Menucha (even though I hear the similarity).

But Emunah is pronounced EmuNAH (with the emphasis on the last syllable), and Menucha is usually pronounced MeNUcha - so it sounds more dragged out and less pretty in my opinion (hope I didn't offend anyone called Menucha).

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:38 am
My daughters name is Emuna and we call her Emma or Muna
I've heard a few others with the name
It's a powerful name

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 1:47 am
If you were dati leumi I would say it's a popular name. But if you are in the charadi community in Israel then I really wouldn't do that to your daughter. It's one thing if you plan to go back to America. But if your daughter is going to grow up in Israel in a charadi community stick with what fits in, it will make life so much easier for her. Honestly, I think getting into a charadi high school will be harder with a dati leumi name, as for shidduchim......
Could be I'm behind the times but at least before you do it ask a charadi rav in Israel.

salt

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 2:00 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
If you were dati leumi I would say it's a popular name. But if you are in the charadi community in Israel then I really wouldn't do that to your daughter. It's one thing if you plan to go back to America. But if your daughter is going to grow up in Israel in a charadi community stick with what fits in, it will make life so much easier for her. Honestly, I think getting into a charadi high school will be harder with a dati leumi name, as for shidduchim......
Could be I'm behind the times but at least before you do it ask a charadi rav in Israel.

I think you're exagerating a bit.
My kids go to charedi schools, there are girls called Tiferet, Hodaya, Tehilla, Bat Tzion, Hila, Talya, Moriah. Emunah is just slightly more original, but it's not too way out.
I think you are behind the times, or you don't have kids in charedi schools.

Rabbit613

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 1:53 am
I'm not worried about what schools think. People have become more open minded. One of my kids have a very unique Dati Leumi name (named for someone) and we get many compliments. When he started school (very charedi) the principal complimented the name and said it was the first time they had a student with that name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names