Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami or Mishpacha
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 4:50 am
Well she trashed Mishpacha sooooo..Ami for the win?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 9:26 am
I buy both. I don’t care for Ami but my kids prefer it. To me it’s very focused on chitzonius type things. It focuses way too much on business and politics. I love Mishpacha because they focus on things that matter.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Nah. If you worked for a magazine you'd spell away correctly....

Don't be so sure.
(You're obviously not an avid reader of some publications Wink )

itsmeima

Post Fri, Oct 02 2020, 12:02 pm
Mishpacha, they have better writers!

(I only read the main magazine)

shaindeldevora

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:05 pm
I subscribe to: Ami, Mishpacha, Binah, Hamodia, Yated, also get The Lakewood Voice, The BP and Monsey View and I'm probably forgetting something. I don't read secular books and I am an avid reader of serials, the more gossipy, soap opera style the better (love you Riva Pomerantz!) but back to the OP. I think Ami is by far the best all round magazine. Every section has something of interest to every reading level. IMHO

newinbp

Post Sat, Mar 05 2022, 9:36 pm
Gut voch! I know this is an old thread. We love Ami, the kids and living sections more than the men's but read the men's business and Ben Shapiro sections, sometimes the main features.

Can't really get into mishapacha though we've tried. Don't find the kids section as entertaining/interesting, and the authors in the womens section seem more well-known and the pieces more thought out in Ami than mishapacha for me.

My complaint is this - why is everything so negative??? I know that's what sells. But every issue it seems features illness, tragedy, and on Shabbos I thought we are supposed to be bsimcha? I'm considering just buying one book per month for the same cost of a weekly magazine at this point. Curious what others think. This is by no means meant to be lashon hara as I enjoy Rabbanit Miztachis pieces, and even read the roadblocks column but again - not sure on shabbos I want my head focused on topics such as prison? Maybe I'm just sensitive. But trying to increase my shabbos spirituality and mentality and trying to assess if reading Ami and the like improves or detracts, you know? Maybe there's another option I haven't thought of! Thanks have a wonderful new week Smile

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 12:19 am
newinbp wrote:
Gut voch! I know this is an old thread. We love Ami, the kids and living sections more than the men's but read the men's business and Ben Shapiro sections, sometimes the main features.

Can't really get into mishapacha though we've tried. Don't find the kids section as entertaining/interesting, and the authors in the womens section seem more well-known and the pieces more thought out in Ami than mishapacha for me.

My complaint is this - why is everything so negative??? I know that's what sells. But every issue it seems features illness, tragedy, and on Shabbos I thought we are supposed to be bsimcha? I'm considering just buying one book per month for the same cost of a weekly magazine at this point. Curious what others think. This is by no means meant to be lashon hara as I enjoy Rabbanit Miztachis pieces, and even read the roadblocks column but again - not sure on shabbos I want my head focused on topics such as prison? Maybe I'm just sensitive. But trying to increase my shabbos spirituality and mentality and trying to assess if reading Ami and the like improves or detracts, you know? Maybe there's another option I haven't thought of! Thanks have a wonderful new week Smile

There are many people who won’t read either of these a magazines due to this reason. Others find them spiritually uplifting. It’s a personal choice what works for you and your famiLy.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 12:52 am
Read and like them all prefer Ami
Circle for kids is in a much better category by far the best

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 1:46 am
I'm an avid Mishpacha reader. I find they are much less negative. Love family first and read the main Mishpacha, starting in the back!!!

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 1:49 am
Mishpacha Magazine is definitely a more professional, higher quality publication. However, I can't say the same for Mishpacha Junior, and the Aim Magazine for tweens is really good.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room