Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler refusing to eat
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes he use to be a very good eater everyone use to comment how much he ate like an adult. He’s always been on the lower end of percentiles

See, that’s what concerns me. If he used to eat well and now he slowly is cutting everything out of his diet, and doesn’t have days where he will eat the things he used to, then that should be taken care of.

If he really doesn’t eat anymore, and not that he has off days, take him to a pediatrician to get weighed and see if he’s lost weight and gotten taller. Ask them for a referral to a good feeding therapist.

And to those who said “if kids are hungry, they eat, they won’t starve themselves” never met my stubborn child. He would lie on the floor, at times, too weak to move. It was like this weird stumbling block in his head where the fear of food overwhelmed his own survival. A feeding therapist tried these little dumb ideas like “let him see the food and have it be near him so that one day he will be used to it”, which of course was what I was doing all along and it never worked. So I fired her and got someone tougher. The methods were a bit scary, but I actually think it saved his life.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:33 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
See, that’s what concerns me. If he used to eat well and now he slowly is cutting everything out of his diet, and doesn’t have days where he will eat the things he used to, then that should be taken care of.

If he really doesn’t eat anymore, and not that he has off days, take him to a pediatrician to get weighed and see if he’s lost weight and gotten taller. Ask them for a referral to a good feeding therapist.

And to those who said “if kids are hungry, they eat, they won’t starve themselves” never met my stubborn child. He would lie on the floor, at times, too weak to move. It was like this weird stumbling block in his head where the fear of food overwhelmed his own survival. A feeding therapist tried these little dumb ideas like “let him see the food and have it be near him so that one day he will be used to it”, which of course was what I was doing all along and it never worked. So I fired her and got someone tougher. The methods were a bit scary, but I actually think it saved his life.

I totally agree. If "normal" parenting tips aren't working, it's time to call in the professionals.

Good for you for getting a better therapist, and sticking in there even when you thought the methods were a little harsh and scary. It's not easy to watch your child fight, even when you know that you are doing what is best for their health.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:13 pm
All my kids go through this stage, it eventually passes. With my first I literally stressed myself out about it.
Just take it easy, offer him a variety of food and let him eat what he wants.
Does he eat cookies and ice cream, or is he refusing those as well?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics