Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp for boy who is not into sports

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 8:50 pm
DS is in 6th grade and wants to go to camp for the first time - he’s not big into sports. Any ideas for me if other types of camp out there for his age?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 9:26 pm
1. Camp Yoreh Deah but it may be for an older age, you'd have to look into it.

2. What we've done is create our own. Get a few like-minded kids/parents. Hire a yungerman or bochur to learn with them for a couple of hours, rent a pool if they like that (even non-sports-minded boys usually enjoy cooling off in a pool). Find a few low-key trips like bowling, even crafts places.

It takes some organizing but you can save a lot of money & the kids can be very happy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:39 pm
Thanks for your reply! Yes Yoreh deah would have been just up his alley I did check and he’s too young. Most of his friends are going to sleepaway camps but not his type. He’s very sociable and gets along with them in school but not into the sports.

srbmom

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:44 pm
Look into Camp Chaverim. They do have sports but also try to incorporate variety of other activities. I personally have not sent a kid there, but do have a few friends who have.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 16 2020, 10:49 pm
Thanks for responding. So funny I was just looking into chaverim this minute! Would you be open to asking your friends if I could contact them? I don’t know anyone who goes there just got the name from someone whose sibling works there and have no idea what kinds of families go there, trying to get a feel for the type of place...

happymommy6

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 12:03 am
Feel free to pm me. Sent two boys to chaverim and love it!! (So do they!!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 8:54 am
Sent a sports hating son there one year and he really enjoyed it, if he had to go to camp. He's decided not to go to camp any more now that he can work but said if he were to go back to camp, that's where he'd go.

Directors are really impressive, they give a personal touch. I also know quite a few of the staff. I definitely recommend.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 9:04 am
Any chassidishe camp fits that bill Rolling Eyes
Sorry couldn’t resist,
Been bothering me every summer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:20 pm
Thanks everyone!
happymommy and Hashemyaazor, I'll be pming you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children