Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Quarantine 24 days?!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 4:42 pm
My whole family has been in quarantine over a week so far since I tested positive last week. I just found out that the first 10 days don't count since my family was still around me. Ds can't go back to school and dh won't be allowed at work for 24 days. Are we really supposed to quarantine that long?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My whole family has been in quarantine over a week so far since I tested positive last week. I just found out that the first 10 days don't count since my family was still around me. Ds can't go back to school and dh won't be allowed at work for 24 days. Are we really supposed to quarantine that long?

That is assuming that after 10 days, you aren't contagious anymore. Up until then, you are, so anyone in contact with you up until then, could incubate for up to 14 days before showing symptoms, etc.

If more people start to show symptoms, those without symptoms in your household could potentially be in quarantine longer as well.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:26 pm
Yes unfortunately it is 14 days from last exposure. So if they were exposed to you the entire time it would be 24 days. If someone else tests positive in the meantime the 14 days for all non sick family members restarts.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:31 pm
Do you have symptoms OP?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:32 pm
Yes! And it's torture!! I think we went 27 days. It helped to take walks daily. According to the health dept. By us that was okay

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:34 pm
I really don't think you have to.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:35 pm
Was your family quarantining with you?

Or were they going in and out of the house while in contact with you while you were supposed to be in quarantine?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:38 pm
IME, Mom is the hardest to isolate from the family. If someone else comes down with it, it might be easier to isolate them from everyone but you (with lots of cleaning and handwashing.) And then the two weeks wouldn't have to start again.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:00 pm
If you can get everyone to get it that could be shorter cuz it's only 10 days once you've got it. But yes my kid who can't seem to get it is quarantining the longest, 24 days. Everyone else had some symptoms ie fever throwing up, headache and fatigue, loss taste and smell and for them they only waited 10 days from start of symptoms.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:01 pm
DrMom wrote:
Was your family quarantining with you?

Or were they going in and out of the house while in contact with you while you were supposed to be in quarantine?

We were all quarantined the whole time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Do you have symptoms OP?

I lost my sense of smell.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:18 pm
We just did that in Israel.
Small apartment- 3 kids. No porch and in Israel you aren't allowed to take walks.
It was really tough but we survived

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:27 pm
I know one family who were quarantined for well over a month, since the children got it one at a time, and each time a new one tested positive it restarted the ten plus fourteen days for the others. Two parents and eight children in a sixty metre (Israeli) apartment. Anyone who had recovered was allowed out of the apartment, but they all had a really hard time of it.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I lost my sense of smell.

Call your doctor! Ask the professionals since I heard many different views from different doctors

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Call your doctor! Ask the professionals since I heard many different views from different doctors

I called and left a message earlier today. The problem is that ds won't be allowed back in school for 24 days regardless of what Dr says.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I called and left a message earlier today. The problem is that ds won't be allowed back in school for 24 days regardless of what Dr says.

I would speak to higher authority in the schools since rules are changing outside. Some schools did ease up.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:23 pm
If you test them and they are positive then you can get it down to 10 days from the positive test. It's only worth the hassle if you are now starting the 14 days. Otherwise it wouldn't give you much.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:25 pm
I had them tested on day 1 and 4. They're negative.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had them tested on day 1 and 4. They're negative.

Check them for antibodies

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yew, those are CDC guidelines if you didn't isolate yourself from your family.

I know a family where one parent got covid, tried isolating from family (staying in bedroom), and everyone else quarantined in the house.
but within 10 days, other family members got symptoms, tested positive, etc.
At that point, they all quarantined together.
Every time another family member got symptoms, the 14 day count restarted for the rest of the famiky.
meanwhile, ppl who tested positive can out of quarantine after 10 days from symptoms and no fevrr/symptoms for 24 hrs.

I'm so sorry for you, OP.

Everyone should learn from this- if one family member tests positive, they should try to isolate themselves from the family so that if no one else gets sick, it's just the 14 day count, not 10+14+...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics