Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Update! Help me toilet train my 3.5 year old
Previous  1  2

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:21 am
Does she call bathroom time at specific times I.e. after lunch? Specific toilet seat? Can he give out chips to his teddy bears? to the neighbors? To the birds and squirrels outside? Put aside some for father, grandparents (in front of their pictures if necessary). Surely, teacher is not emotionally invested and that's the main thing and you don't need complicated or fancy prizes.

keym

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:34 am
1) he can give chocolate chips to you and your husband, and you and your husband give out when you use the bathroom. Family culture- you go, you give.
2) with one of my more resistant, competitive kids, I would say "Mommy needs the bathroom. Do you want to go before me or after me. Inevitably, he would insist on going first, and I acted very nonchalant "ok, if you really want".
3) most playgroups have bathroom time. Do that also. Top of every hour, everyone who is home- Mommy and Totty included line up to try.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly. He’s going to school next year. Plus I’m having a baby iyh soon and no one who will watch him wants to change his nasty diapers... plus I’ll have another diaper to change and that’s more then enough... Help

That’s why it’s become a power struggle at home because he can sense that you are rushing him to grow up to get ready for the next baby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:53 pm
Just wanted to update you all-

I spoke to his morah. She said she takes him every hour and gives no choice. He goes.

She said obviously at home he acts out it’s not school. She also told him if he stays dry all day at home and school she’ll get him a prize.

He came home and I said we’re going every hour. And we did. Yes, it was still a struggle but he got through the day without one accident!!!!!

Davening we can keep this up. Thanks for your advice!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just wanted to update you all-

I spoke to his morah. She said she takes him every hour and gives no choice. He goes.

She said obviously at home he acts out it’s not school. She also told him if he stays dry all day at home and school she’ll get him a prize.

He came home and I said we’re going every hour. And we did. Yes, it was still a struggle but he got through the day without one accident!!!!!

Davening we can keep this up. Thanks for your advice!

What, you don't like chocolate? Have him give you some chips!

Don't feel bad. Boys almost always take longer than girls. My sister's two boys didn't really get it until they were about 5 or 6, and she's a clinical child psychologist! I know lots of great, attentive parents, who's boys still have the occasional accident, especially if their friends are over and they are in the middle of a game.

On the other hand, DD was dry both day and night at 2 1/2. She was super annoyed by being wet, so one week without anything on her bottom was enough to make her want to use the bathroom. One week of cleaning the floors, and that was it. That's why I asked how bothered your son was.

Keep up the good work!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics