Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Best Gossipy soap-opera style serial that's now a novel
Previous  1  2

cbsp

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:21 am
Anything by Etka Gittel Schwartz.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:24 am
Anyone? The will
Thrilling and suspenseful novel!

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:31 pm
booboo24 wrote:
New money by shani pruzansky....
Enough... the new riva pomerantz
All fall down by Rachel berger
False fronts by batya ruddel
Role call by Tzippy kestenbaum

Loved Enough and new money. Also loved all fall down (rachel berger is dina Neumann's pen name!) Will be buying false front and role call asap!

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Rhona Lewis's Stand Tall. Apparently it was in The Jewish Press. I think it'll fit the bill.

Loved it!

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:34 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Anyone? The will
Thrilling and suspenseful novel!

By who?? Sounds like I'd love it

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 5:51 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
By who?? Sounds like I'd love it

Chaim Greenbaum. He also wrote The Mexico Files. (And a children's book on yetzias Mitztrayim.)

booboo24

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:29 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Loved Enough and new money. Also loved all fall down (rachel berger is dina Neumann's pen name!) Will be buying false front and role call asap!
I didn’t know that about Dina Neumann! TIppy kestenbaum has a second book I can’t remember the title but it’s also really good.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:00 pm
blueberry6 wrote:
What's the problem? It's basically just a long (schlepped out) dramatic story, at least that's what I'm assuming the OP means

Soap opera usually have a lot of romance, relations, affairs, children out of wedlock, amnesia, and lots of other things that I assume would be verboten in frum books.

penguin

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:18 pm
Anything new out?

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:21 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Soap opera usually have a lot of romance, relations, affairs, children out of wedlock, amnesia, and lots of other things that I assume would be verboten in frum books.

Would LOVE a frummy serial like that lol! We could call it Baltimore MD

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:41 pm
Ch. 1: Chana gets ready for date with Avi. Turns out he's the secret identical twin of Avigdor, the boy she almost married.
Meanwhile her brother has discovered..... Cigarettes as well as unfiltered internet in the library...
Also.. her father is a hotshot real estate developer set to build the biggest apartment complex in town for young kollel families, but what secret does his mysterious wealthy business partner seek and why was he seen walking out of a ladies hosiery store?
The final character introduce is Chana's younger sister Fruma Miriam, a superstar new teacher at Bais Yakov D'Wayward Girls. Fruma Miriam resents having to wait for Chana to get engaged before she can start dating. She is having a hard time breaking into the clicky group of married teachers. She is in awe and intimidated by the Principal, Rebbetzen Stereotypical Severe But Kind, who just happens to have a very eligible grandson almost coming out of the freezer...

Tune in next week to find out:
Does Avi also have chronic IBS like his identical twin which was the reason for the broken shidduch..
Will the sinister business partner really be... A woman?!
Will her brother be caught smoking in the library while googling "shabbos in alaska in the summer"
And will Fruma Miriam be invited to eat lunch with Chaytza Newlymarriedstein...

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 5:12 am
shaindeldevora wrote:
Ch. 1: Chana gets ready for date with Avi. Turns out he's the secret identical twin of Avigdor, the boy she almost married.
Meanwhile her brother has discovered..... Cigarettes as well as unfiltered internet in the library...
Also.. her father is a hotshot real estate developer set to build the biggest apartment complex in town for young kollel families, but what secret does his mysterious wealthy business partner seek and why was he seen walking out of a ladies hosiery store?
The final character introduce is Chana's younger sister Fruma Miriam, a superstar new teacher at Bais Yakov D'Wayward Girls. Fruma Miriam resents having to wait for Chana to get engaged before she can start dating. She is having a hard time breaking into the clicky group of married teachers. She is in awe and intimidated by the Principal, Rebbetzen Stereotypical Severe But Kind, who just happens to have a very eligible grandson almost coming out of the freezer...

Does Avi also have chronic IBS like his identical twin which was the reason for the broken shidduch..
Will her brother be caught smoking in the library while googling "shabbos in alaska in the summer"

Dancingqueen, this is the bowdlerized version of what we think of as soap oper. There are a number of books out there that aren't so far off sheindeldevorah's abstract here. Soap opera is a quite useful term for the genre.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 6:02 am
shaindeldevora wrote:

Shaindeldevoara, what a great storyline! When's it coming out? I'll buy it!

shaindeldevora

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 10:19 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Shaindeldevoara, what a great storyline! When's it coming out? I'll buy it!

Lol thanks. I make fun of it but I absolutely LOVE the genre..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room