Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Being a guest

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:21 pm
My in laws are making a simcha & invited us to stay for shabbos (small affair).

We haven’t been in away in forever! Is staying with another family ok or is that a no no these days?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:25 pm
Depends who you ask. Personally our family has no antibodies and therefore would not feel comfortable staying with strangers from outside our bubble. But even if you stay at a hotel or in an empty house, will there be others at the simcha from outside your bubble as well? I'd suggest talking to your doctor and following his advice, not some anonymous ladies on the Internet.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:25 pm
Where do you live?
For most NY's it's ok. If your kids are going to school, you to work & to stores, you can go away.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:34 pm
I wouldn't do it, especially in NYC which is now at 3%.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My in laws are making a simcha & invited us to stay for shabbos (small affair).

We haven’t been in away in forever! Is staying with another family ok or is that a no no these days?

I’d rather stay alone. Either rent an apartment or hotel. Also how is the covid rate in your place? If I’m not mistaken, the uptick this fall started with out of town infected guest who came to a wedding. I guess you have to be equally careful both ways. Not to bring covid, nor take it back.
Mazel tov!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:43 pm
Only if all people in both families have already had confirmed cases.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:49 pm
I would go. Even if ppl on both sides didn't have it.my kids go to school, I go to work and stores. No difference to go for shabbos.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I would go. Even if ppl on both sides didn't have it.my kids go to school, I go to work and stores. No difference to go for shabbos.

I think she’s asking whether she should stay with another family not whether she should go.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:03 pm
We’re both in NY but none of us in NYC.
Most of kids go to school & husband to shul. I haven’t been shopping & am working remotely but we do have one kid that’s higher risk. The reason I’m asking here first is because if it’s such a no no then I’m not even asking the doctor & either we’ll just go & drive right back & leave the kids home (husband & I both have antibodies) or just take the kids that have antibodies. But in laws really want us to stay for shabbos & see all the kids since they haven’t seen them so so long (we’ll have a private place to stay but will eat in their house together with 1 other oot family).

If it’s questionable ok then we can ask- but I don’t want to ask non Jewish or non frum doctor & potentially cause a chilul Hashem if it’s mamash against the current laws & I don’t follow the current rules & regulations so closely, just stick to mostly staying home, masks & sd etc...

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:04 pm
Assuming you're comfortable attending the simchah, for accomodations, it depends on the setup. Ask yourself if you would stay in a hotel. If so, then if the family you're staying by will be giving you your own space with your own bathroom, it can work. You can air it out when you get there, and wear masks when you leave that space until you leave the house (obviously, a separate entrance would be great.) It's not perfect, and there are a lot of surfaces involved, but I know careful people who have done it.

If not, it gets a lot harder.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 7:07 pm
It's not mamesh a no no. So many people will be traveling for Thanksgiving that drs are expecting these questions and there are safer ways to work these things out. Eat a bit distanced etc. Ask your Dr. What's the best way to make this as safe as possible

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:47 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Where do you live?
For most NY's it's ok. If your kids are going to school, you to work & to stores, you can go away.

Big difference; in school and at work and at stores we are masked. Would OP wear a mask as a guest? Would her hosts? In their own home?

I go to work and stores and kids to school but I wouldn’t go to a simcha or be a guest in someone’s home (as they would likely be unmasked)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Big difference; in school and at work and at stores we are masked. Would OP wear a mask as a guest? Would her hosts? In their own home?

I go to work and stores and kids to school but I wouldn’t go to a simcha or be a guest in someone’s home (as they would likely be unmasked)

They definitely won’t wear in their own home! Plus we’re going to eat meals with them if we go so definitely not masked...
I’m so torn. I want to do the right thing, but honestly I don’t know at this point What.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They definitely won’t wear in their own home! Plus we’re going to eat meals with them if we go so definitely not masked...
I’m so torn. I want to do the right thing, but honestly I don’t know at this point What.

Staying home is the right thing. US hit 250,000 deaths today, a week before Thanksgiving when things are going to get really hairy. Be safe, stay home.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 8:59 pm
Meals to me are a no no, possibly unless done very carefully (separate platters on separate tables, or far away), definitely with strangers from a different town. Do you know the people you'd be staying at?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:00 pm
If you're from any state other than NJ & CT you would need to quarantine for 14 days .

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Staying home is the right thing. US hit 250,000 deaths today, a week before Thanksgiving when things are going to get really hairy. Be safe, stay home.

100%. but we do have antibodies & it’s a very milestone major simcha..

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
100%. but we do have antibodies & it’s a very milestone major simcha..

People with antibodies are getting Covid again. It's not a get out of jail free, pass.

Stay home, make sure you're ALL here next year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Meals to me are a no no, possibly unless done very carefully (separate platters on separate tables, or far away), definitely with strangers from a different town. Do you know the people you'd be staying at?

As in sleeping?
Private suite by my in laws
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries