Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What helps u connect to your child's inner world

thegiver

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 10:54 pm
What are some ways you can connect with a 5 yo?

My child comes home weepy and upset and shouting at me why did u pick me up first or I'm hungry give me a snack or I can't put on my seatbelt or I already washed my hands (when she didn't) or give me water--everything with a shout or moan or Yelp. It's like she is so distressed. I asked morahs what triggers it. Small things like her zipper wasn't working or she is just hungry after a long day maybe or she didn't have a prop that everyone else had that day ( she CHOSE not to take one).

When I ask her in the moment she doesn't answer and tells me don't talk to me! Today I started weeping after she said that and also from anticipating and dreading her antics.

I'm too tired to shmooze with her in bed at end of day and other babies are around so I can't ignore them!!

Side note: I just discovered that she loves gifts but my husband said she has enough trash. I think her love language is quality time and praise and now gifts!!

What do you to connect with a little girl? Coloring together or playing ball together. I've done that already. What else?? Wwyd!?!

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:01 pm
She seems overwhelmed and stressed from the day.

I don't know if this would work for your daughter, but as son as we got into the house and removed our coats, I used to just hold my little girl firmly on my lap in a warm embrace for a few minutes, while speaking soothingly and patting her hair.

It recentered her, and she calmed down a little.

I learned that the most important thing was to be a calming presence, and to be really present the first little while after she came home.

Also, to get her to eat something!

Boca00

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:19 pm
Food! Extra snacks at school and something to eat when she gets home.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:26 pm
Do you drive her home? Bring a snack in the car for her.

Is she sleeping well at night? My daughter was falling apart after school for a while and I recently began giving her a drop of melatonin she's sleeping much better and crying much less during the day

I also try to just focus on her for a few minutes when she gets home. Offer her food, ask about her day. Don't ask her her to hang up her coat that she dropped on the floor or if she has hw till she's had a chance to relax. The only thing I do have to say right away is wash with soap which they groan about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children