Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Preschooler needs me to sit with him

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:24 pm
My child is almost 5. So I will admit that I lean permissive. I feel too bad too often. I can't stomache tantrums well. My son is very strong willed and wants me by his bed until he falls asleep. I have tried many times to wean him off. I made a contest but as soon as the contest was over we were back to square one. He screams and it breaks my heart. Any advice or do I just wait u til he outgrow it?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:25 pm
Are you me?
I still stay with my almost 5 year old son until he falls asleep. He has anxiety and has always needed someone to stay with him at night.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Are you me?
I still stay with my almost 5 year old son until he falls asleep. He has anxiety and has always needed someone to stay with him at night.

Lol. Should we post back in 2 years and see how it's going?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol. Should we post back in 2 years and see how it's going?

Definitely LOL
I look at it like I get quiet time on my phone when I sit with him so it stopped bothering me. I stopped trying to wean him off it. I gave up basically. He tells me he’s scared. Why should I torture him?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Definitely LOL
I look at it like I get quiet time on my phone when I sit with him so it stopped bothering me. I stopped trying to wean him off it. I gave up basically. He tells me he’s scared. Why should I torture him?

Ok thanks!

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:42 pm
I stay with my kids even my 10 year old. It makes them feel loved why not.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 9:43 pm
My DS has ASD and gets super anxious at night.

I still sit with him for a while, and he's 14.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:01 pm
I sit with my 5 year old too. He feels safer, and I read or fold laundry while I sit there, so I get to either relax or accomplish something.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:27 pm
When I was younger and “ smarter” I used to think that for their benefit, I should let them “self soothe” or whatever cr@p the experts recommended at that minute.
Well, now I’m older and dumber, and I stay with them, snuggle, shmooch them up, give and get the wettest kisses. Hug them till they fall asleep.
It doesn’t last all that long. Before long.... I’ll be glad if a get a grunt of a “good night”.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
When I was younger and “ smarter” I used to think that for their benefit, I should let them “self soothe” or whatever cr@p the experts recommended at that minute.
Well, now I’m older and dumber, and I stay with them, snuggle, shmooch them up, give and get the wettest kisses. Hug them till they fall asleep.
It doesn’t last all that long. Before long.... I’ll be glad if a get a grunt of a “good night”.

Why wet kisses??

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 3:05 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Why wet kisses??

My daughter has different “designs” as she calls them.
Some kisses are tiny, some strong, some wet all over my face Can't Believe It

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 4:53 am
I still sit with mine too Very Happy
I did it with my older one too. But now I started taking baby-steps with him like with my older one. I used to lay next to him. Now I just sit there. Next I will start sitting but leaving the room for a minute or two in the middle to do something and then come back. I do all of this very slowly until he gets used to being by himself

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 4:59 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Why wet kisses??

Why do women ask questions like this??? like you’re a sicko or something...

Enjoy your kisses Wheat - however wet they get!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 8:47 am
Thanks for all the mommy love! I thought I would get blasted. Was really nice to read all these posts this morning Smile

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 19 2020, 8:50 am
I sit with my eleven year old too. He's going to bed later now, which is hard. Pre covid, I had a real issue when I needed to be out during his bedtime. So if I had parent teacher conferences or a wedding, he wouldn't go to sleep until I got back. But that's not an issue now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics